nature video using resolve CST and iso 111

Started by 70MM13, October 12, 2019, 07:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

The great experiences I'm having with the colorspace transform setup in resolve inspired me to shoot further to the left than ever before, and the results are fantastic.

iso 111 using the much maligned amplifier hack.  no noise reduction.  no noise to be reduced!

check out the dynamic range.  every shot except the deep forest shots are in full sun with full shadows.

grading took 2 minutes.  effortless.  mlvapp to convert mlv to cdng, then straight into resolve.  easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22f-_AhlQI

timbytheriver

@70MM13 Nice work. Lovely clean shadows! How exactly are you using the colorspace transform? Be great to see a grab of your node map in DR.
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

70MM13

it's really quite simple, and i am only using one node to do all of the processing!

nothing but exposure, gain, and offset! (with my customary saturation and hue curves)

the CST is set as follows:
input colour space: canon cinema gamut
input gamma: bmd extended video gen4
output colour space: bmd wide gamut gen4
output gamma: bmd extended video gen4

simple tonemapping

it's breathtakingly fast and easy.  it took longer to convert the mlvs to cdng than it took to do everything else!

Luther

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 15, 2019, 01:29:35 AM
it's really quite simple, and i am only using one node to do all of the processing!

nothing but exposure, gain, and offset! (with my customary saturation and hue curves)

the CST is set as follows:
input colour space: canon cinema gamut
input gamma: bmd extended video gen4
output colour space: bmd wide gamut gen4
output gamma: bmd extended video gen4

simple tonemapping

it's breathtakingly fast and easy.  it took longer to convert the mlvs to cdng than it took to do everything else!

Try ACEScct to Rec.2020 :)

timbytheriver

@70MM13 Thanks. But are you setting the Color science option to DaVinci YRGB or DaVinci YRGB Color Managed?
What about the Camera Raw and the Camera Raw tab in the timeline?

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

70MM13

@tim:
davinci yrgb

camera raw is cdng with highlight rolloff, and in the timeline it is davinci cs and gamma

@luther: i'll try, thanks!

DeafEyeJedi

Dude... looks like you shot this in Dual-ISO and yet it looks just as good, if not better (no aliasing or line skipping)!   ;)

I'm proud of your accomplishments @70MM13 and it may seem like you're alone in this.. I feel you and I've been inspired!

Those mushrooms are so lovely and yet crucial as we all know that they can actually save the planet during climate change!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

70MM13

I really appreciate the very few friends I have in this community, and you are at the top of the list!

You inspire me too, master jedi!

I'm loving what this camera can do.  It would be incredible if it was being fully utilized, but I no longer ask questions after the last one was deleted for me.

timbytheriver

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on October 15, 2019, 06:25:57 PM

@70MM13 and it may seem like you're alone in this.. I feel you and I've been inspired!...

Amen to that!
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

70MM13

thanks tim!

i hope there's a miracle that brings a pioneering spirit back to this community someday.

in the meantime i keep fumbling around in the dark, getting these "underexposed" shots looking just right...

;)

thanks for being friendly!

70MM13

another new episode, and this one is strictly in the deep forest, with the most extreme conditions of blotchy full sun and mostly full shade.

i have tweaked my setup on the CST slightly and the results are even better than the last video.  i'm totally happy with this one!  After doing the little adjustment, I applied the same settings to every shot!

effortless and instant, with pretty decent results i'd say ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKswHE6vDSw

ngemu

Cant believe how cinematic the footage looks.

Can you share some details on how you expose while filming? This was shot on the 5d mark 3? Very amazing work!

70MM13

thanks for the kind words.

yes, it's a 5d3, and there's a bit of hassle involved with how i use it.  it relies on the iso tools from a1ex.  it is not straightforward, and it has zero support nor even acceptance from the big shots here, but it works for me.

here's a very crude cameraphone video i made a while back as an introduction to using it.  if you want to tinker, it might be a starting point for you.  i don't use those exact settings anymore, as it is something i am still trying to improve on even though i am just stabbing in the dark, but again, i'm getting results that work for me, so i don't care about being dismissed out of hand.  at least i am using my camera and having fun!

https://vimeo.com/328339880

ps: i really can't offer more than what i show in the video.  i am just a user with some bravery.  there are some sporadic discussions of this stuff strewn about on this forum particularly in the thread about the iso/adtg tools.  if you want to move this forward, it would be a great thing!  good luck...  you'll need it.

timbytheriver

Quote from: 70MM13 on October 20, 2019, 01:46:56 AM

i have tweaked my setup on the CST slightly and the results are even better than the last video.

Looks great! How did you tweak the CST ?  :P
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

70MM13

making a new thread for a new episode i just uploaded, to restart this conversation because i changed the cst setup again, this time, perfected!