Rant: "Canon is Listening, Will Add 24p Video Back to Select Camera Models"

Started by yourboylloyd, October 10, 2019, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yourboylloyd

Source: https://petapixel.com/2019/10/09/canon-is-listening-will-add-24p-video-back-to-select-camera-models/

(The 90D sales must be hurting  :D )

Anyone else not excited at all about this? I thought about getting an RP just to have it as a decent autofocus backup camera, but I honestly don't even want to support them for removing such a feature in the first place. I really don't understand how the EOS RP could possibly match my decade old 5Dmark2 in any other way (maybe besides high iso performance).

I know by now that Canon is aware of Magic Lantern's existence and how much it has done for them. Why wouldn't they add the basic features on cameras that the ML guys have added on an old 50D that was made in 2008? Or better yet, why would they 'lock' their cameras to make it hard for the ML guys to get into? I can't even imagine what 10bit autofocus on an EOS R would look like. I know a lot of people like to use the argument of "Canon is just protecting their cinema line," but would an actual film studio use a hacked camera for a big production instead of an Arri Alexa? Wouldn't they make more money if tens of thousands of people had a super cool/ budget camera, than a few hundreds of studios having a a c100/c300? Most studios that use their cinema line are sad that they couldn't get something better anyway. Even the Blackmagic Ursa Mini can shoot RAW 4K and is cheaper than the EOS R.

Maybe the reason Canon excelled is because of the 2008 financial crisis. Maybe we need another financial crisis to get them to actually innovate instead of giving us bricks that the iPhone could do 2 phone generations ago.

Okay I'm done. (I'm just going to wait for the a7siii or the blackmagic fullframe camera.)
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Greg

So RP and M50 still have only automatic electronic shutter mode?
I thought these few lines of code were not a problem for them.

ArcziPL

No, M50 has full manual exposure in movie mode and supports both 25 & 24 fps.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

ilia3101

Quote from: yourboylloyd on October 10, 2019, 01:47:57 AM
I really don't understand how the EOS RP could possibly match my decade old 5Dmark2 in any other way (maybe besides high iso performance).

Yes, high ISO. Less crop (if you want high resolution), 4K instead of 3K. Canon 5D4/EOS R/RP are very underrated video cameras. On a few occasions I have seen especially amazing looking videos, and only afterwards I realise that it's shot on the 5D mark 4 or one of the few 4K canons. I think the quality is much better than Sony.

ArcziPL

Quote from: Greg on October 10, 2019, 02:05:05 PM
@ArcziPL - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4366448
I apologize, I was reading too briefly and didn't get that you talk about something not related to original post.

I do personally not care. DSLMs are so silent and shake-free in comparison to DSLRs, that I simply don't mind the shutter at all. And will rather change the cam before the shutter wears out...
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II