Why Can't I Shoot Raw on Canon 700D (Magic Lantern)?

Started by ralphistic, October 08, 2019, 05:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphistic

Hello,

I currently own a Canon 700D. I was informed that installing Magic Lantern can allow me to shoot RAW footage, which is all I ever wanted. The SDHC card being used is the SanDisk Ultra that reads/writes 80MB/s. In theory, and on paper, according to Magic Lanterns comparison table, I should be able to continuously shoot at max res in 24 frames, but I am so frustrated and hopeless because every time I try to shoot, it stops the recording after a mere 5 seconds and prompts me that a frame has skipped, or teases me by saying it stopped "automagically".

I tried lowering the bitrate, the frame rate, the resolution, the ratio, and some other settings, and yet I still can't record.

Please, does anyone know how I can record RAW footage that is clean and continuous on my Canon 700D, because apparently it can be done?

Thank you very much.

Also, my write speed is 11.1MB/s, which is terrible, so I was wondering if anyone knew what write speed is good enough that my camera can handle as well as shoot nice quality video. Thank you!

histor

According to the Calculator, it should. Test the card, read its specification and find the way to recycle it safely :)

Walter Schulz

Some of your issues have been properly answered in Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicLantern/comments/des095/why_cant_i_shoot_raw_on_canon_700d_magic_lantern/

If you're running "standard/main" nightly build (last official build: magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.700D115) and want to get continuous recording upper limit is somehow 720p25 (1280x720 pixel, 25 fps). That will require about 38 MByte/s bandwidth in 14 bit raw and it is "cropped".

You can try an experimental build (latest official: magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.700D115.zip) with lossless compression:
QuoteEOSM, 650D, 700D, 100D:

•     1736x696 @ 50/60p with 3x3 pixel binning (actually column binning / line skipping)
  •     Lossless compression: 1736x976 @ 24p continuous (this is the maximum 16:9 resolution with 3x3 sampling)

There is a very bleeding edge custom build available in Danne's Bitbucket repository: http://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads
If I'm right it offers a SD-card overclock which gives extra boost for recording with a risk of getting your card fried.

But you need a faster card. Undisputed champ for 700D (and other Digic 5 cams with SD slot): Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s. Sandisk 160/170 MB/s seems to be a tad slower but haven't caused a problem (yet).
Seems to be pure overkill but if you want to play safe ...
We simply have not enough experience with other (cheaper) cards in this performance class to offer worthy and cheaper replacements.

"Clean" footage is a bit disputable.
Non-crop with binning/line-skipping is prone to aliasing. Quite expensive VAF anti-aliasing filter is able to fight this but will be restricted to full-screen setting only.

And to answer a question not asked: Nope, nobody here made a statement about RAW with ML being straightforward.