Music Video / 6D / 14-bit Lossless MLV - Philip Ndukwu | BLACK SHEEP

Started by Tyronetheterrible, October 05, 2019, 07:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronetheterrible

A music video I shot, directed, and edited for a local music artist. Wanted to experiment with double exposure techniques. Looking forward to using this technique in more advanced/tricker ways, now that I have a bit of rudimentary experience with it.

All shots were in 14-bit lossless using the crop_rec 3x3 build and in 1824x1026, except for 60fps slow motion shots which were in 1824x616.
Graded in DaVinci Resolve using Vision Color's DELTA LUT, and Filmconvert for grain and additional adjustments.

ngemu

yourboylloyd

That's some crazy dynamic range I tell you.... Especially the window/studio shots.

Great work.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Tyronetheterrible

@ngemu
Thank you! I used a Canon L 24-105 f4 lens for all of the shots, mounted on my Zhiyun Crane 2. I took advantage of the newly added vertigo mode through the latest firmware update. The Crane 2 is my favorite gimbal to pair with Magic Lantern, as you can fully use the follow focus wheel by just connecting the mini-USB from the the gimbal to the camera, no servo motor required.

@yourboylloyd
Thanks so much! I was impressed by the dynamic range as well! I had a Black Pro Mist 1/4 filter mounted too, just to soften the highlight rolloff, especially for the window shots.. I was also considering using the Dual ISO feature to pull even more dynamic range, but ultimately didn't want to sacrifice any more resolution than my already limited 1824x1026.

The image I can pull off with Magic Lantern, along with the ability to follow focus using just a mini USB cable for the Zhiyun Crane 2, are the main reasons I'm considering upgrading to 5D3 as opposed to a BMPCC 4K. Although i'm still teetering on the fence...

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on October 06, 2019, 01:22:37 AM

@yourboylloyd
...along with the ability to follow focus using just a mini USB cable for the Zhiyun Crane 2, are the main reasons I'm considering upgrading to 5D3 as opposed to a BMPCC 4K. Although i'm still teetering on the fence...

You use the crane 2 too? I love the 5d2/crane 2 combo! What do you do for a battery solution? This is my setup. It's the most lightweight thing I can think of. I also have shoulder straps that I can hook up to help support the weight.

I am thinking of upgrading to the 5d3 too. I wouldn't recommend going from a 6D to a small tiny micro 4/3rds sensor. You're going to lose so much of your wideness and depth. Now that I can shoot in RAW I can't see myself going to any standard 8 bit camera. Although the Panasonic S1H with 10bit is obviously my dream right now.

Tyronetheterrible

@yourboylloyd

That's a clever rig! I use a dummy battery that connects to the DC 8.0 V power outlet on the side of the Crane 2. I find in most cases that the Crane 2 carries enough juice to power my 6D and the Crane 2 itself for an entire shoot day. Then I just use all of my LP-E6 batteries to power my monitor. It's particularly nice during wedding shoots not to have to unmount the camera from the Crane 2 every single time just to change batteries.

I was one of the unfortunate ones to have purchased the Crane 2 BEFORE they included the servo follow focus in the box, but the camera control cable does an adequate enough job of pulling focus for me. I'm still considering getting it separately though, as it would be nice to control the zoom using it.

Here is my setup:

If I were to purchase the BMPCC 4K, I would of course purchase the Metabones SpeedBooster 0.64 XL alongside with it to get close enough to full-frame, and to use my preexisting EF lenses. The fact that it can also shoot in 12-bit RAW (BRAW) would be good enough for me. The 4K would also be nice for re-framing and keyframing in post, a handy tool especially for music videos.
Playback of RAW files would help out big time too, as I work mostly with clients who usually and understandably want to view the shots after each take.
Honestly, checking out this particular BMPCC 4K user's work was enough to convince me. This is exactly the kind of cinematic look I want to achieve:
LINK:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNsICAFPvg

yourboylloyd

@tyronetheterrible

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on October 07, 2019, 07:16:02 PM
@yourboylloyd

I use a dummy battery that connects to the DC 8.0 V power outlet on the side of the Crane 2. I find in most cases that the Crane 2 carries enough juice to power my 6D and the Crane 2 itself for an entire shoot day.

I didn't even know that the crane 2 could power the camera!!! This is mindblowing to me. At first I would spend about 15 mins taking off the camera, swapping batteries, rebalancing then shooting (which was annoying). If I would've nkown about this I just would have bought hundreds of those little crane batteries!

I was one of the unfortunate ones to have purchased the Crane 2 BEFORE they included the servo follow focus in the box, but the camera control cable does an adequate enough job of pulling focus for me. I'm still considering getting it separately though, as it would be nice to control the zoom using it.

That probably is the way to go honestly. I myself only have one good auto-focus lens, so I need it for my manual primes.

If I were to purchase the BMPCC 4K, I would of course purchase the Metabones SpeedBooster 0.64 XL alongside with it to get close enough to full-frame, and to use my preexisting EF lenses. The fact that it can also shoot in 12-bit RAW (BRAW) would be good enough for me.

Does the Crane 2 work with the BM4K? I remember a lot of people saying they were having record trigger/autofocus/control issues when using it with it. And of course you have to buy that offsetting plate thing because the bm4k doesn't fit most ggimbals.

@yourboylloyd

Honestly, checking out this particular BMPCC 4K user's work was enough to convince me. This is exactly the kind of cinematic look I want to achieve:
LINK:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNsICAFPvg

That video is pretty nice. Be mindful that there is more than RAW video going on here. This guy shot on the vidatlantic anamorphic filters, which change the look of video entirely and only work on a select few lenses properly.

Keep me updated on what you decide to do! I'm extremely curious.

Tyronetheterrible

@yourboylloyd

Quote from: yourboylloyd on October 08, 2019, 11:32:12 AM
I didn't even know that the crane 2 could power the camera!!! This is mindblowing to me. At first I would spend about 15 mins taking off the camera, swapping batteries, rebalancing then shooting (which was annoying). If I would've nkown about this I just would have bought hundreds of those little crane batteries!
Glad I could share that tip with you! Now you can make your setup even more lightweight!

Does the Crane 2 work with the BM4K? I remember a lot of people saying they were having record trigger/autofocus/control issues when using it with it. And of course you have to buy that offsetting plate thing because the bm4k doesn't fit most ggimbals.
I heard about the offset plate thing too, and all I would need is the servo motor for focusing, and all other functions like recording I would do using the touch screen on the BMPCC 4K itself!

That video is pretty nice. Be mindful that there is more than RAW video going on here. This guy shot on the vidatlantic anamorphic filters, which change the look of video entirely and only work on a select few lenses properly.
For sure, and the Vid-Atlantic anamorphic filter is actually going to be my next gear purchase. I've heard varying degrees of success from various people using varying focal lengths, contrary to Vid-Atlantic's website, so I'm going to grab one to test myself. I have yet to see any Vid-Atlantic anamorphic filter tests using Magic Lantern, so I am excited to see the results!

Keep me updated on what you decide to do! I'm extremely curious.
Will do! Looking forward to seeing more of your work too!

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Tyronetheterrible on October 08, 2019, 05:09:44 PM

For sure, and the Vid-Atlantic anamorphic filter is actually going to be my next gear purchase. I've heard varying degrees of success from various people using varying focal lengths, contrary to Vid-Atlantic's website, so I'm going to grab one to test myself. I have yet to see any Vid-Atlantic anamorphic filter tests using Magic Lantern, so I am excited to see the results!

I saw you post on that other anamorphic spot about finding one for the 24-105. I have the 77mm Cinemorph filter by vidatlantic. I don't have a 24-105 but i have the canon 28-135 and I can test it out for you on that lens. The only thing that sucks is that you lose two stops of light using it so I rarely use it on anything that's not a prime and it vignettes so heavily at anything below 55mm. I also have the one that's for Sigma lenses and goes on the back which reduces the vignette. I'll throw together a test video for you this weekend.

There is this one guy named Tito Ferradans on youtube that explains everything budget anamorphic ever. My favorite mod of his is the Helios 44-2 mod.

Tyronetheterrible

Quote from: yourboylloyd on October 08, 2019, 05:30:32 PM
I don't have a 24-105 but i have the canon 28-135 and I can test it out for you on that lens. The only thing that sucks is that you lose two stops of light using it so I rarely use it on anything that's not a prime and it vignettes so heavily at anything below 55mm. I also have the one that's for Sigma lenses and goes on the back which reduces the vignette. I'll throw together a test video for you this weekend.
Wow, I appreciate that a lot! That would help me greatly, as I have Canon EF 50 1.8 and 40mm 2.8 primes as well, so it would be interesting to see how it would perform at that range of focal lengths.

Quote from: yourboylloyd on October 08, 2019, 05:30:32 PM
There is this one guy named Tito Ferradans on youtube that explains everything budget anamorphic ever. My favorite mod of his is the Helios 44-2 mod.
Yes, I am a definite subscriber to Tito Ferradans! I will have to check out the video for his Helios 44-2 mod. That is a lens that I have been eyeing for quite a while.

Thanks so much again, yourboylloyd!

DeafEyeJedi

Great collaborations in this thread. Thanks for sharing your silky moves @Tyronetheterrible. Digging the double exposure trick, big time. Actually I'm curious about this mod too as I own the Helios 44-2 as well @yourboylloyd!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109