Canon EF-S 10-18mm with Canon 5D Mark III 3.5K Test

Started by mscjcarr, October 02, 2019, 01:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothaibaphoto

Be careful: in 10-14 range the rear lens is in reach of the mirror :)

ilia3101

Where did you find that much sharpening? How did you process it? A lot of it looks like phone footage.

But the use of a 10-18 lens with crop mode is interesting to me, I have been considering getting one of these lenses for that purpose.

Luther

Yeah, too much artificial sharpen, aliasing, contrast and saturation. Also, the shutter speed is too fast.
QuoteI have been considering getting one of these lenses for that purpose.
I have the impression that 'normal' wide angle lenses for cinema is bad... unless you require it. These lenses normally have more distortion and this crispy digital-look (which is why I personally like to use old lenses). I have heard good things about about the Rokinon Cine, though. Maybe with a diffusor filter like Black Promist it will render very nice images using crop mode...
I still think some old lenses (the good ones, like Zeiss Planar 50mm) and a speedbooster will give more cinematic images.

yourboylloyd

I'm actually curious. I thought EF-S lenses couldn't fit on full frame cameras. How did you do that? Did you have to modify it? Does the aperture control still work? This is potentially game changing for crop mode.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ilia3101

Quote from: yourboylloyd on October 11, 2019, 07:45:04 PM
I'm actually curious. I thought EF-S lenses couldn't fit on full frame cameras. How did you do that? Did you have to modify it? Does the aperture control still work? This is potentially game changing for crop mode.

Sometimes you have to cut off some plastic to get them to fit.

GullRaDriel

I have a tamron 10-24 EF-S and it's definitely fitting inside my mark III.

I could take shots, but before reaching 16-17 I could see the black circle all around the photos, so I did use it but never under the aperture of 16-17 mm.

Today I'll try to make a raw video with that one, at 10mm / crop mode / whatever setting I can find which is working and not showing a black circle.

The crop mode on ef-s lens mounted on full frame look like a cheap trick but it may allow me to shoot nice wide videos with a cheap lens I already own.

Wait and see !

GullRaDriel

Done.

It's working like magic:

I really like this hack, I'll have to play with my old EF-S lenses :-D

mirkoc

Quote from: mscjcarr on October 02, 2019, 01:35:23 PM
https://youtu.be/WU7CQc_PzK4

Quote from: GullRaDriel on October 15, 2019, 11:58:01 PM
Done.

It's working like magic:

I really like this hack, I'll have to play with my old EF-S lenses :-D

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how it works on EOS M with a speedbooster in crop mode.

lucato

Hi folks, I have heard that 10-18mm doesn't auto focus in live view or normal/creative zone due some restrictions in 5Dmk3. Is you getting to focus in these zones? If so, how did you achieve it? Thanks

lucato

Quote from: mscjcarr on October 02, 2019, 01:35:23 PM
https://youtu.be/WU7CQc_PzK4

Hi folks, I have heard that 10-18mm doesn't auto focus in live view or normal/creative zone due some restrictions in 5Dmk3. Are you getting to Auto focus in these zones or just into manual mode? If you get AF how did you achieve it? Did you get with Magic Lantern frimware AF at 5DMK3 and 10-18mm or not? Thanks

mlrocks

efs 10-18mm has an adapter for ef. just change the plastic mounting ring to the alloy adapter. you can buy it from ebay, about $30-50 dollars.

af is fine on 5d3. just activate af in the ml menu. by default, the af is disabled.

Bruno Italiano

I would say, it is'nt made for autofocus compared to Sony.  :)