Battery Drain Issue after ML uninstallation

Started by raghavadhithya, September 27, 2019, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raghavadhithya

I was using Magic Lantern on my 5D M3 for well over three years, never had a single problem using it and the camera is in almost mint condition. I had to sell my 5D recently so I've uninstalled the magic lantern from in-camera using low-level format as mentioned in the FAQ and let it get back to the old Canon firmware without ML this time, removed my SD & formatted it on a laptop and now using that SD in a different camera. Now the person who bought is reporting that the battery drains completely keeping a fully charged battery inside the camera overnight. Please help out! Thanks!

Walter Schulz

To uninstall ML from the cam you have to redo the installation and wait for timeout. That is the proper way.
What you have done is whiping ML functionality from this very card only.

raghavadhithya

Right now, I've reinstalled ML and uninstalled and updated the camera's firmware to 1.3.6 - the rear Card Access light is blinking non-stop could that be the possible reason why the battery's draining?

I'll have to downgrade it to 1.1.3 and place the magic lantern files for 1.1.3 firmware and install it? - Could you please tell me the method to uninstall Magic Lantern completely off of the camera and update it to 1.3.6?

Walter Schulz

Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Downgrade to firmware 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 using EOSutility (via USB)
Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build content (matching installed firmware version) to card.
Run install and wait for timeout to complete.

After that you can do what you like. ML is deinstalled from cam (bootflag is no more) and disk (files are present but card isn't bootable.

flostro

Is it an old battery? I have old batteries that behave like that. The canon charger shows a green light at the and, but the batteries are empty within a few minutes if you put them in the camera.

raghavadhithya

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 27, 2019, 04:13:54 PM
Format card in cardreader.
Format card in cam.
Downgrade to firmware 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 using EOSutility (via USB)
Format card in cam.
Copy extracted nightly build content (matching installed firmware version) to card.
Run install and wait for timeout to complete.

After that you can do what you like. ML is deinstalled from cam (bootflag is no more) and disk (files are present but card isn't bootable.

I'll have to reinstall the magic lantern and now how to uninstall it? I don't really quite understand the "wait for timeout" part.

raghavadhithya

Quote from: flostro on September 27, 2019, 09:02:05 PM
Is it an old battery? I have old batteries that behave like that. The canon charger shows a green light at the and, but the batteries are empty within a few minutes if you put them in the camera.

If two years is old, then yes it is, but is it?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: raghavadhithya on September 27, 2019, 10:49:02 PM
I'll have to reinstall the magic lantern and now how to uninstall it? I don't really quite understand the "wait for timeout" part.

Just reinstall and read screen content.

raghavadhithya

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 28, 2019, 12:26:13 AM
Just reinstall and read screen content.

I'm having an issue downgrading from 1.3.6 to 1.1.3 or 1.2.3, while using the EOS Utility method the camera's screen goes blank after "3 second Rear LED Blink". Am I doing anything wrong?
I formatted the SD from Laptop, and then again on Camera and followed the EOS Utility downgrade setup.

I'm using an 8GB SD from San Disk. It's really old.

Walter Schulz

Are you able to access firmware option in EOS Utility?

raghavadhithya

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 28, 2019, 04:23:59 PM
Are you able to access firmware option in EOS Utility?

Yes, I could. It shows the camera's running on 1.3.6, and prompts whether to upgrade from 1.3.6 to 1.1.3 and upon clicking next, the camera shows blank screen, and on the computer it shows "Press SET button to continue installing the firmware", ignoring the blank screen I press SET button on the camera gives me nothing. I tried with firmware 1.1.3 & 1.2.3 in both I'm stuck on the blank screen. :(

Walter Schulz

srsa

Quote from: raghavadhithya on September 28, 2019, 05:43:46 PM
upon clicking next, the camera shows blank screen, and on the computer it shows "Press SET button to continue installing the firmware"
I believe that's a feature of the latest (1.3.6) firmware. It was introduced in response to this recently published "Missing authorization vulnerability". I would imagine most of the camera's buttons are blocked when an USB connection is active. Don't know whether removing the cable would allow dismissing that dialog, or cause some sort of problem.

a1ex

Confirmed. The firmware update can no longer be started from EOS Utility (tested with 2.14.1, but not expecting any surprises with newer versions). I can create a tool that would allow downgrading, but this would require effectively porting ML to 1.3.6 (i.e. time-consuming, but doable, and not necessarily by me).

However, I'm willing to bet OP's issue is *not* caused by the boot flag, which is currently enabled on firmware 1.3.6 on his camera. As long as you use a clean card (without ML), even if the boot flag is enabled on the camera, you will be running standard firmware. This should *not* cause battery drain. Refer to this flowchart for the low-level details.

Possible exceptions:
- hardware issue (can be diagnosed with an external power source, but one has to cut the cable to connect an ammeter)
- incomplete shutdown from last ML session (if the camera starts and shuts down properly, a few times, with the usual LED activity, this can be ruled out)
- some incompatibilities with Eye-Fi cards (unlikely here)

I'm not aware of any other ways to lock up a camera without ML during normal use (yes, with boot flag enabled in the camera; card contents are not important, as long as the card was not prepared for ML).

I wouldn't rule out an incorrect report, so... I'd like to see some kind of video proof that battery drain actually happens.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: a1ex on September 28, 2019, 09:58:41 PM
Confirmed. The firmware update can no longer be started from EOS Utility (tested with 2.14.1, but not expecting any surprises with newer versions).

Do you know if this applies to all cams with PTP vulnerability fixed firmware or is this a 5D3 issue only?

a1ex

I've only tested the 5D3, after noticing the issues on the forum. From the cameras already running ML, it's probably the only one - at the time of writing - as it's the only model included in this list. When other models will receive updates, we'll see.