Dual ISO processing strangeness

Started by garry23, September 26, 2019, 06:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I have a very stable Lightroom set up, that processes Dual ISOs seamlessly, until today.

I took a load of duals on my 5D3 and all of the images processed ok, as usual, other than half a dozen that refused to process.

I shot at 100/1600 and you can clearly see these are duals.

The LR plugin says, no dual, and doesn't process these few images.

As I say, I've never seen this before.

Has any one got any insight.

Cheers

Garry

IDA_ML

I had similar problems with Lightroom skipping frames when processing large Non-Dual ISO DNG sequences.  I never found the reason why that happens.  My suggestion is to use MLVApp for processing your Dual ISO files.  I does an excellent job with that while allowing for very precise color grading after  conversion.

Walter Schulz

LR has no saying in Dual-ISO-processing. It's entirely a cr2hdr thing. And cr2hdr may do false rejection with specific Dual-ISO pics.
But the tip giving MLVapp a try is indeed a good one.

garry23

Thanks to both of you for your suggestion.

I look into MLVApp.

Cheers

Garry

garry23

???

First problem I see is that I have single .cr2 dual-iso files, but MLVApp appears to want to see .mlv files.

Any hints?

histor

Have you tried some --force?
cr2hdr.exe --force IMG.CR2

garry23

Sorry, I know you are trying to help, but you are a little too cryptic for me  ;)

As I say, I have normal, single image duals, and all I wish to do is open and process them in MLVApp.

Danne

Mlv app isnĀ“t working with files other than MLV. If on mac Switch works by simple drag drop.

garry23

@Danne

So I'm still mystified why the LR Dual-ISO app doesn't process these few images, when they are clearly Duals

:(

garry23

BTW

What triggers Dual-ISO post processing?

Meta data?

EXIF data?

Or what?

Danne

Throw one file up there for testing.

histor

I referred to windows version of cr2hdr-20bit
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Other%20tasks/job/cr2hdr-20bit/

Sometimes it ignores the files Doesn't look like interlaced ISO
ISO blending didn't work

Running it with the --force option you get blended DNG plus information from the log like this offset too large
You may get stripes at some lines finally (in the highlights, I believe).

garry23

@histor

Many thanks for the education.

Managed to process the images, but strange that LR version decided to give up.

Cheers

Garry

histor

Walter Schulz

Quote from: garry23 on September 26, 2019, 09:20:24 PM
Managed to process the images, but strange that LR version decided to give up.

There is no "LR version". You have enough lua knowledge to add an --force option into plug-in's GUI.

garry23

@Walter Schulz

You give me far too much credit.

I'm a simple Lua scripter.

Walter Schulz

garry23

Back home now from my travels, so I thought I would be clear on what happened.

Using the LR version fails on certain images.

Using the desktop .exe version, ie dropping the image onto the  cr2hdr.exe, without using force, works ok.

In other words, it looks like to me that something strange is happening with the LR based approach.

garry23

If anyone else has this random problem with the LR 'version' of cr2hdr.exe, here is how I fixed it.

The issue is that the you get the message that the image is not a dual and the image is not processed.

If you get this, click on the keyword icon in the image review and delete the keyword message that will be there, ie not dual iso.

Then reprocess again.

Walter Schulz

This is not a solution and not a workaround but just random and won't do the trick for all affected pictures

garry23

@Walter Schulz

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. It appears to fix the problem IF LR refuses to process a dual.

...at least for me ;-)