Crowd-funding to get, Real time audio level adjustment?

Started by DTIFM, August 30, 2012, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTIFM

I noticed in the 'can not be done section'

QuoteScrollwheel controls
It's not possible to remap them while recording. In standby, ML menu uses a trick: it opens some Canon dialog in background to steal wheel events from it, but this trick doesn't work while recording.

But if it is possible who would be up for setting up / paying into a crowd-funding pool? This could then pay to get, Real Time audio level adjustment.

As a documentary film maker, it would be worth its weight in gold, to be able to adjust the audio level on my 5dMkii and 550d in real time, without having to stop recording and go into the menu.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?

a1ex

nanomad

While I like your ida, I don't see where are you going with this. Are you suggesting "financing" a dev to look into the issue? What if it proves to be not feasible?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Johng

Great idea I second that update. I too would love this feature on my 60D. I would like a quick way such as  using one or both of the control dials to be able to adjust the audio levels quickly. Using the menus just takes to much time.

John Gerard

Quote from: DTIFM on August 30, 2012, 11:27:05 AM

But if it is possible who would be up for setting up / paying into a crowd-funding pool? This could then pay to get, Real Time audio level adjustment.

As a documentary film maker, it would be worth its weight in gold, to be able to adjust the audio level on my 5dMkii and 550d in real time, without having to stop recording and go into the menu.

DTIFM

In an ideal world it would be awesome to the two right hand buttons on my 5DMkii to be Up volume and Down volume , since they don't do anything when you it record, magic zoom if the far left button same as the * button. And both buttons are near silent.

A1ex I know you said, that you can, I just found out that if you hold the joystick (arrow keys) control down it allows you to go into the menu but you loose Crop Marks etc. Am I missing something can you change the volume without re-entering into the menu?

With Crowd-funding, we would set up a GoFundMe (or other site) account, then the first person to make this happen would get whatever is in the pool.

Does anyone know if this is even possible or will you always have to reenter the menu?

Rehaan

@ DTIFM - As a1ex said, its done in v2.3

Enable it:
Menu > Prefs > Arrow/SET shortcuts > Audio Gain : ON

When shooting in MOVIE mode:
1) Press the key that activates the on-screen arrow shortcuts (on my 60D its the "metering" button (to the right of ISO button))
2) Use up/down arrow keys to control OUT +/- and left right for VOL +/-

cya
R

Johng

I have used this function. With my eyes in bright sun I can't see if this feature is on or off half the time  and the arrow keys/ joystick on the 60D is not as easy to use as the click wheels. You can add other options to this function and cycle around. I need to go back and turn off all other functions that I have associated with this function. That will help a lot.

John Gerard

Rehaan

A bit Off Topic:

If you shoot in the bright sun, search ebay.com for "60D v3 viewfinder" or "GGS 60D viewfinder".

Buy one of them. I just got my "V3" (that too for $11 including shipping - after seeing a recommendation on this forum).

I've used it once and i absolutely love the functionality it provides. So much so, that i even used it for pictures with LiveView (and manual focus + LV zoom).

I've also bought a GGS, but its not arrived as yet.

Cheers,
R

DTIFM

Im not sure If I got my point across, or not. So I gone and done a video:

A1ex: Am I right in this video that this is the only way to change the audio? Also do you think my suggestion is possible ?

Cheers

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: DTIFM on September 02, 2012, 07:22:17 PM
Am I right in this video that this is the only way to change the audio? Also do you think my suggestion is possible ?

That's the long method  ;)

The fast way is using the new shortcuts in ML 2.3. It allows you to change the audio level and some other settings such as ISO and Kelvin easily while still seeing the live view image, both while recording and not. This is the method that Rehaan described a few posts above.

Read here for more info:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/menshortcuts/101-catarticles/cattutorial/catshort/91-artfast-operating-with-shortcuts
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

profes

What I did was I built myself a small preamplifier with a gain control and used that to make adjustments you can either make your own using an opamp or buy one (juicelink or the like)
Here is a link to the one I plan on building next (I'll try to find the schematic to the one I have now sometime but I think this one is better) www.nomad.ee/micros/preamp1.html
I cannot say this won't fry your camera so be careful

profes

This is the one i made myself you need a microphone transformer for the shure sm58 or similar  www.ti.com/lit/ds/snas545a/snas545a.pdf
Top right page 5

DTIFM

OH! Now I get it!

So much on learn about Magic Lantern

Does anyone know if there a video tutorial on this?

I might make a quick one (with a better camera)

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Rehaan

DTIFM -- just to add to (/ correct) something you said at the end of your video about zoom button not working when recording:

It IS possible to use them >> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide#magic-zoom

cya
R

a1ex

Zoom button while recording doesn't work on 5D2. And the other top buttons share the same button codes, so we can't use them.

Johng

Hi,
I went into the short cut menus prefs and turned everything off except volume gain and "Use Set Button" under Arrow/Set Shortcuts.  This helps me a lot. Now when I press the mettering button on my 60D it only takes me to the vol setting witch I can change using the arrow keys. Pretty simple. Using a click dial I still think is faster, though.

John Gerard

Johng

I forgot that another way is to goto the ML menus and goto the audio menu and then press SET this will allow you to easily set the volume controls. Except that it might interfere with setting other options. I have not tried this out Yet. It might still not be the end all feature to quickly controll audio settings.

John Gerard

DTIFM

I've made this, not so great, but it super short. Tutorial on how to do this, I really hope this helps people out as this feature makes a world of difference to me.

Thank God (or the Team who actually sat down and made this) For Magic Lantern

Rehaan

^ Nice.

What is that scrolling histogram like thing on the bottom right of your screen?

Thanks,
R

DTIFM

Johng

Thanks, I think it is slightly easier to use on the 5mk Ii than on my 60D. I have done this. The joystick or directional keys are a little hard to use on my 60D a scroll wheel is much much quicker to use. Also with my eyes in sunlight on a 3 or 3.5" screen the "vol" letters are hard for me to see.

John Gerard

Quote from: DTIFM on September 05, 2012, 04:37:18 PM
I've made this, not so great, but it super short. Tutorial on how to do this, I really hope this helps people out as this feature makes a world of difference to me.

Thank God (or the Team who actually sat down and made this) For Magic Lantern