Reduce Motion Blur in car-side-window shooting?

Started by adrjork, September 17, 2019, 05:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrjork

Hi everyone,

I need to make some shots of trees, houses, etc. with a 4-axis gimbal, through the side window of a car running at 30-35 Km/h.
I made some test and I noticed that at T/50 the motion blur is really disturbing. I also tried T/84 and even T/100 and obviously this reduced the motion blur, but added the typical jerkiness of rapid shutter times.
Then I tried T/64 and I must say that to me this is the best compromise out of the camera.

Anyway, I also tried to handle the T/100 footage in Davinci: slowing it down a bit (20 fps), adding optical flow and just a little bit of motion blur. And the result seemed good to me.

My question: which one in your opinion gives the best result? Shooting at T/64 without touching it in post, or shooting at T/100 and then re-touching it in post?

Thanks a lot.

Luther

What FPS are you recording? ML has a feature called "FPS Override", which provides some options regarding the "jerkiness" you talked about.
I personally always record at 24.000 FPS (using "Exact FPS" in the FPS Override menu) and with 1/48 shutter speed. This is called "180-degree rule", in case you want to research...

Quote from: adrjork on September 17, 2019, 05:02:05 AM
slowing it down a bit (20 fps), adding optical flow and just a little bit of motion blur.

Hurr. This doesn't seem good to me. Adding frame interpolation will mess your footage and won't provide any benefits.

adrjork

Hi Luther, thanks for your reply.

I shoot at 25 fps with Canon menu at 25 fps, and "also" FPS Override at 25 fps "Exact FPS" (I don't know if that gives any benefit...) And then I conform 25 fps to 24 fps in post (so the result is just a little-little bit slower).

1/48 shutter speed (in my case 1/50) seems too blurred to me (for this specific kind of shot). As I wrote, it seems to me that the best out-of-the-camera compromise is 1/64... But some doubt remains...