Focus Stacking with Tamron 90mm Macro

Started by leocallejas, September 11, 2019, 12:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leocallejas

Hi,

I've been experimenting with the focus stacking feature and it took me a while to figure out the settings, but I'd been getting consistent results.  Recently I decided to try and do 2:1 magnification stacks with a raynox filter, and was testing the best aperture for this.  All of a sudden, the lens stopped responding to the joystick if the step size is set to 1.  It works if it's set to 2 or 3, and normal autofocus is working, but if I try to shift the focus in step size 1 increments, the focus doesn't move, or it moves erratically.  I need the smallest step size for this magnification, so 2-3 won't cut it.  Could I have overtaxed the motor using focus stacking?  My tests were done in 1 hour sessions, 1 day apart, for about 5 days.

Has this happened to anyone else? 

Cheers,

Leo

a1ex

I've also found step size 1 to be unreliable. A possible way to get around it is to look at the focus position counter (assuming your lens reports it) and keep retrying until the lens actually moves. The hardest part is a consistent way to reproduce the issue (which I don't have).

Can you try running the Lua API tests from the latest lua_fix build? If the tests are working fine at the lowest speed, the problem should be fixable.