Another test vid | 4.5K EOS M RAW Video | EF 50mm 1.4 | Viltrox Speedbooster

Started by masc, September 08, 2019, 05:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

The video was recorded around Elgersburg, Germany, Thuringia.

All clips are filmed at very soft and bright apertures between f/1.0 and f/1.4 (thanks to the speedbooster). I used the 5K anamorphic mode at 2.39:1, resulting in a native resolution of 1488x1870, unsqueezed to 4464x1870 (but finally downscaled to 3840x1608).

Goal was to try out the brand new resizing algorithm AVIR with much better anti-aliasing capabilites, which came to MLVApp (not in official builds yet, but you can compile yourself). The algorithm is used when exporting with Apple AVFoundation codecs on OSX. "Stair effects" are reduced to a minimum with that. And from now on we can have 12bit resized ProRes4444 footage (OSX only), with slightly better color than exporting with ffmpeg!

I recorded all clips hand held... so sorry for the shaky footage. Next time I'll use a tripod/monopod/glidecam again

Gear used:
- Canon EOS M with Danne's Aug31 ML build
- Viltrox Speedbooster
- EF 50mm f/1.4 (results in 35mm f/1.0)
- ND64 filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up3IKSrvL7g
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Luther

This is great @masc! It's not shaky at all. I can't see any aliasing in this, which is great as one of the issues of EOS M for me was the aliasing.
The only issue I see is that it is very soft and has chromatic aberration, because of the wide open aperture. But it fits well as a artistic choice in the clip.
Would like to see how it performs with a very sharp lens while recording straight lines (buildings, etc). Did you use @Danne's script to smooth aliasing?
About AVIR, from github:
"The author even believes this algorithm provides the "ultimate" level of quality (for an orthogonal resizing) which cannot be increased further"

Humm... dunno about that. There's some pretty amazing super-res algorithms, like ESRGAN. Also, every year they are improving these algorithms. I don't think there's a "ultimate" solution to the interpolation problem.
But, yeah, AVIR seems great.

masc

Thanks Luther. I tried to rescue the footage using digital stabilizers. In some shoots you see that, and I don't like it too much, if it is visible.
The EF 50mm 1.4 is very soft wide open, and combined with the speedbooster it becomes even softer. Surely this is good against any moiree. The sharper the lens the more you'll get some artifacts. Some days ago I also tried the EF 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, but I was not sooo happy with the results, especially at sharp high contrast edges.

Here in this video, nothing was done against moiree in post.

Oh, I forgot to correct CAs? Hm... haven't seen here, hehe.

Yes, I also found this sentence on GitHub and am not sure how to interpret it. But maybe quality can be increased using "other" additional or different algorithms. What a shame that most of the free super-res algorithms are implemented in python. I would be happier if it was done in C/C++ to not need so much dependencies. I found just one other in C++, but AVIR was better.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

Great colors, Looks natural , i have focal reducer as well but most of the lenses have soft corners  besides one zoom 35-70, on 70mm  it has sharp corners with it, i suspect theres a lot more lenses compatible that retain corners quality but no one compiles that info.
When shot requires infinity i prefere to take it off.I use M more often than 5DII because of light gain with booster.

ilia3101

Lovely video as always. Really enjoy the colours, no harsh clipping in sight, just the way I like it.

Interested to see how much sharper it would look from a tripod, as I guess stabilisation you used  reduced quality a bit (always did in my experience).

Quote from: Luther on September 08, 2019, 06:33:25 PM
About AVIR, from github:
Humm... dunno about that. There's some pretty amazing super-res algorithms, like ESRGAN. Also, every year they are improving these algorithms. I don't think there's a "ultimate" solution to the interpolation problem.
But, yeah, AVIR seems great.

Of course  it's better, but it's a neural network, so its gonna be really slow to execute. And is it even an "algorithm" if no one wrote the actual method?  :)

Luther

Quote from: Ilia3101 on September 08, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
And is it even an "algorithm" if no one wrote the actual method?  :)

Good point. I guess they are comparing with normal interpolation methods, such as Lanczos or Spline64.
The hybrid approach seems exciting:
https://people.xiph.org/~jm/demo/rnnoise/

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed, lovely colors as usual and thanks for sharing this beautiful test footage @masc!

Quote from: masc on September 08, 2019, 05:07:59 PM
..."Stair effects" are reduced to a minimum with that. And from now on we can have 12bit resized ProRes4444 footage (OSX only), with slightly better color than exporting with FFmpeg!

Fantastic to hear. Definitely worth checking out. Gonna compile once again tonight. Lately, I've been using Lanczos even when exporting in H.264! ;)

Especially if you only plan on doing all the grade solely within MLV App prior to exporting.  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

masc

Thanks guys.

Quote from: Ilia3101 on September 08, 2019, 10:52:50 PM
Interested to see how much sharper it would look from a tripod, as I guess stabilisation you used  reduced quality a bit (always did in my experience).

Did another test with a Carl Zeiss Jena vintage lens. Got an adapter for PB to EOS which allows focus to infinity. I thought a monopod + neck strap is okay for a little more stabilization. I was wrong. Downscaled to FHD post stabilizers seem to work better than with 4K footage. But then you throw away so much detail... :(

Big thanks to Danne: I used 4K anamorphic rewire mode and got not a single corrupted frame all over the day! That's awesome!
Graded all clips with the upcomming MLVApp v1.9.

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 13, 2019, 02:40:14 AM
Lately, I've been using Lanczos even when exporting in H.264! ;)

Especially if you only plan on doing all the grade solely within MLV App prior to exporting.  8)
Lanczos was good. AVIR is even better. You really should try it! ;) Future plan is to remove all the ffmpeg scaling functions and to insert just AVIR.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Super nice video. And thank gee that anamorphic is finally without pink frames. Only cost me an arm and a leg and three sd cards  :P

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I wore mine out. Testing code has a price. But I'm pretty sloppy sometimes so I broke them physically. Dropped two, one in the ocean ;)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: masc on September 17, 2019, 07:49:10 PMDid another test with a Carl Zeiss Jena vintage lens..

o0o0o0ohh that's a gnarly piece of vintage!

Quote from: masc on September 17, 2019, 07:49:10 PMBig thanks to Danne: I used 4K anamorphic rewire mode and got not a single corrupted frame all over the day! That's awesome!
Graded all clips with the upcoming MLVApp v1.9.

That's incredible. Big shout out to @Danne! Was this shot in 2.35:1 re: AR?

Quote from: masc on September 17, 2019, 07:49:10 PMLanczos was good. AVIR is even better. You really should try it! ;) Future plan is to remove all the ffmpeg scaling functions and to insert just AVIR.

Copy that. Will do. Didn't realize AVIR even existed within MLV App.  :P
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

masc

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 17, 2019, 08:58:02 PM
o0o0o0ohh that's a gnarly piece of vintage!

That's incredible. Big shout out to @Danne! Was this shot in 2.35:1 re: AR?

Copy that. Will do. Didn't realize AVIR even existed within MLV App.  :P
Oh yes... love these lens(es) from the first minute! ;) Tried here the 35mm 2.4, but have two others to try out (50mm 1.4 and 135mm 3.5). The 35mm is so sharp, that you can get very bad moiree on fine structures with EOS M 18MP fullres cr2 images !with aperture full open!. (Have never seen something like this with all my Canon lenses.) ;D

Latest vid was filmed in 2.35:1.

AVIR is a kind of hidden feature for viewer, single PNG export and AVFoundation export in v1.9. You just see it in the about box.  ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202