industrial music video (updated)

Started by 70MM13, September 06, 2019, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70MM13

5d3 raw, using the iso gain hack as usual for me.  no noise reduction.

updated again, using ACES and REC2020, my new default thanks to luther's suggestion!  it took minutes to grade from scratch and i love the results!

for the first time, the final scene looks right.  the light is coming through orange stained glass, and what was always horrible and muddy suddenly looks exactly right simply by using these colourspaces!

plus, in the same shot, the highlights on the silver rings on the synth controls are gorgeous!  all thanks to the setup.  the grading was so easy that i can't believe it!

everyone should try this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhA1Z-ZbHw

Luther

Damn, that's some nice music here. I like how you used metals to make some sounds. I find synth great too. Have you ever listened to Perturbator? I think it would be a great inspiration for you (even though recommending his work is a clichè by now, his album "New Model" is just too awesome not to recommend).
On the video itself, the youtube compression always mess everything. But it was nice. I just think some neon lights (or electroluminescent wires) would fit better the "mood", kinda like those scenes from Dark City (1998) or Nirvana (1997) :)

edit: would just like to add one more thing. Grains. For some reason I think the industrial style fits well with film grains.

DeafEyeJedi

Can never get enough of your marvelous work @70MM13 and indeed I agree w @Luther that I enjoyed how you utilize the sounds with metals and beat makers, etc. Feels so authentic and the mood is spot on!

If you don't mind sharing your workflow... Assuming you used MLV App to fine tune this and export as ProRes? Linear color profile as per usual, right? Ha.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

70MM13

thank you both for the kind words!  it means a lot to me.

regarding the music, it is a sentimental journey for me back to my industrial band from the 1990's, "revenant".  this music is exactly what i did back then.  i don't know the band you mentioned, i may check it out one day...  i'm from the original industrial era, circa skinny puppy and Einstürzende Neubauten.

the workflow was as follows:
mlvapp to convert to cdng
resolve for the rest.
linear gamma ;)
output to tiff sequence, and then used virtualdub2 to convert to hevc

i've got something very different in the works right now.  experimental.  i'll post it, even if the experiment doesn't go as planned ;)

70MM13

I have been having such a good time with the colorspace transform plugin on resolve that I decided to do a new grade of this, from scratch, and it took about TWO MINUTES!
It's breathtakingly easy to work with this new setup on resolve, and now this video looks so good to me that I just can't believe it!

Anyone using resolve really needs to try that plugin!

70MM13

updated link with new version, see message above for details...

yourboylloyd

Wait a minute.. What is the iso gain hack?? Can't find it anywhere when I search through the forum.

Dope video btw.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

70MM13

Thanks!

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.0

The way I am doing it is rather crude and inconvenient, but I am very happy with the results.  I seem to be alone in this, but I don't mind.  It works for me, and I am thankful for the tools to be able to do this at all...

70MM13

i updated the video using ACES and REC2020...  updated link and description in the original post!