Is this feature still around?

Started by tucsonray, September 07, 2019, 04:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucsonray

Hello all,
I'm getting into wildlife camera traps, and found my way to ML through many long googling sessions. I came across this thread:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2973.0
Is this feature still around somehwere? I don't see it on my ML (Canon t2i/550d). Is this a module I can add? I don't see it in the modules list either.

I have an IR motion sensor plugged into the 2.5mm shutter release jack. Right now ML can make it stop and or start with the half shutter press.

What would be ideal is having the shutter press start video, record for 20 or 30 seconds or so and then stop until shutter gets pressed again. It would be super cool if it did NOT take a picture when it started video, but I can live with that. If it did not take the photo, it would be extremely quiet which would be a huge plus.

Thank you, and thanks to all who have put the hard work into this software

Walter Schulz

Nowadays the easiest way to do that is running a LUA script. Load LUA.mo. After restart access Scripts screen and run "Movie delayed start". Then switch to Movie tab and there you have a new item which allows you to determine start delay and record duration.

Now dive into scripting and adjust it as you like. You just need a script to run at startup, waiting for "movie.recording" to become true, waiting for some time (msleep(20000)) and then movie.stop().

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/lua_api/modules/global.html

If you can't make sense of it: Just ask again, maybe we could help.

tucsonray

Thanks for the reply!

I don't have the camera in front of me (its out in the desert). Looks like I have a little homework to do. I had to google what LUA is if that gives you an idea. I will keep researching and I will certainly have some more questions on this once I get the camera back in the house. It'll be a week or two.

thanks again