EOS M RAW in 2019 against 4k options like a Panasonic G7

Started by jotaa45, September 01, 2019, 03:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jotaa45

Hello everyone, this is my first time in the magic lantern forum and I wanted to ask you if it is worth it now in 2019 to buy an eos m with ml raw for making student short films or is it better to just buy something like a panasonic g7 or similar? I've seen the video quality in the eos m and it's impressive but I'm kind of afraid that the crop factor is too severe and that the kit lens loses all of its purpose making a 18mm into a 60mm. I tested the raw ml with my old t3i and I think I can get used to the raw workflow, my real problem is the crop factor and some possible errors during important shootings, just that. What do you guys think?

BautisTan

Not an expert in any way, but I've been using the EOS M for a few months now. The newest builds are VERY stable, I hardly ever get any errors (Danne is an absolute chad). Crop factor is tolerable, it's not as big of a deal with ML installed since some modes do full sensor read outs (I think) and you could always get focal reducers (tho I don't have one myself).

I'd say the real problem with ML on EOS M is having to get the right exposure, anything that's not EV .1-.9 in histogram is pretty shit with untolerable amounts of noise.

Getting something newer like a G7 or A7s would make your life a hell of a lot easier, but the M is an absolute beast for the price. Maybe you could spend the money saved from buying an M into buying lighting equipment. Cheers.

wib

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

masc

Quote from: jotaa45 on September 01, 2019, 03:49:02 PM
I've seen the video quality in the eos m and it's impressive but I'm kind of afraid that the crop factor is too severe and that the kit lens loses all of its purpose making a 18mm into a 60mm.
Why that? Use 4K anamorphic mode to use (nearly) the full sensor width. Then you won't have (much) additional crop!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: masc on September 17, 2019, 03:12:21 PM
Why that? Use 4K anamorphic mode to use (nearly) the full sensor width. Then you won't have (much) additional crop!

Bingo. Spot on!

@Danne's Experimental ML Builds can be located here from this link for ML Capable Cameras including the M:

https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

@jotaa45
The 2x Crop on the G7 would be "severe". The EOS M is just ~ 1.6x, even with ML. I had the G7, loved the M better. The A6300 is good competition but again had both, ended up keeping the M. Something magical about the RAW Look.
Only you know what you need.
EOS M

LittleBig M

EOS M RAW is definitely worth a try, it's cheap camera in 2019, so it's not such a big investment.