Another 645 example, with the help of ML

Started by garry23, September 01, 2019, 03:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

If you are interested in taking 645 images, with the help of ML, you may be interested in my latest post: http://photography.grayheron.net/2019/09/further-thoughts-on-virtual-645.html

Luther

Cool! I had one Mamiya medium-format 80mm f/2.8 lens too (adapted to EOS). It was very sharp when closed to f/8.0, but not bright enought to me (got a Nikkor f/1.2 now).
You could have used HDRMerge instead of Dual-ISO ;)

garry23

@luther

Not sure I understand your suggestion to use HDRMerge.

I'm already taking 8 images to construct a 645 image, if I take additional exposure brackets, say, at +4Ev, I'll be doubling the number of images to capture to 16.

With a Dual-ISO approach I get a lift in the shadows, and keep the number of brackets to the minimum, i.e. 8.

Luther

Quote from: garry23 on September 02, 2019, 07:26:19 AM
With a Dual-ISO approach I get a lift in the shadows, and keep the number of brackets to the minimum, i.e. 8.

But you will also generate more aliasing and have more noise. With HDRMerge you can have 32bit DNGs with minimum noise and full dynamic range. Grade those in, say, Rawtherapee and then construct the pano...
That's what I do, at least.

garry23

@luther

One last go  ;)

To use HDR merge I need at least two exposures at each pano (sensor) bracket, ie 8x2 or 8x3 etc

Using Dual-ISO, although it comes at a cost to quality, I 'just' use 8 pano brackets.

Bottom line: if you can cope with 16 or 24 images, go for it.