MLVFS Default Naming Scheme // Feature Film

Started by oete, September 01, 2019, 03:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oete

I just shot a feature on a 5d3 using MLV raw and it's a lot of footage.

This is not my first time doing a project in MLV but this is, by far, the largest.

The footage from each card is in its own folder and I plan to use Resolve to transcode the Raw into ProRes.

Here's my issue:
When I mount a folder with MLVFS, I'm able to change it's naming scheme from Default to DaVinci Resolve which makes the import into Resolve easier. But when I then mount more folders, it always opens the MLVFS browser relating to the FIRST folder and I'm not able to toggle the naming scheme for any of the other folders containing MLVs. And then in Resolve, I end up with a bunch of folders instead of clips for everything but that first folder of footage.

Does anyone have experience using MLVFS in a project with multiple folders containing MLVs? Is there a way to get ALL folders to mount using the Davinci Resolve naming scheme instead of the Default? I'm working on a Mac if that matters.

Or perhaps, am I sorely mistaken in going with the MLVFS workflow route? (It's been great on the smaller projects).

Thanks for any ideas or insights!

UPDATE:
I was able to change the code in MLVFS to always use the DaVinci naming structure. 

dariSSight

This is the perfect thread for a discussion in a good option in workflow for a multi-folder production. I filmed 3 episodes to my TV drama I've developed, it's a total of 5.8TB but if I pick wisely 1.6TB each episode. My workflow is MLVFS transforming MLV files to virtualDNG to DaVinci Resolve. Now to respond to your message, I don't think ProRes 422, 4444 or 4444XQ can retain the true functionality of the DNG footage so I decided to maintain DNG as much as possible through my workflow (please correct me if I'm wrong about balance expose or color correction in ProRes 4444 or 4444XQ). I'm even doing MLVFS to DNG in AfterEffect for special FX, by the way my colorspace in DaVinci Resolve is ACEScct and I do notice that the naming scheme is only maintain to one of the folders and I've been asking if there is anyway to view multiple folders in MLVS via Browser window, no answer. Can't wait to interact with you because we might be able to get each other or any fearless MLV user through a brave Magic Lantern film post production process.
Canon 5D Mark II

Walter Schulz

Good to hear you found a solution!
Maybe there are other users facing similiar issues. Consider sharing your code chances. ;-)