60D err 80, now 'dead'

Started by 60d, August 28, 2019, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60d

My 60D (with ML installed) stopped working whilst I was taking photos - it showed err 80 on the LCD. Since then, the only sign of life from it was it once flashed an empty battery symbol on the LCD. I have tried all combinations of lens attached/removed and new batteries with/without old and new SD cards (both bootable and non-bootable) and the camera shows no outward response. The camera does not respond to the portable display test or LED blink test.

Any suggestions?

walter_schulz

If you properly used portable display test with a bootable card (= remove battery, insert card, insert battery, close battery compartment door. If there is a battery grip attached: Remove it first) there is only a minor chance for some mechanical error involved. Check battery compartment door switch.
If there is no display message/LED activity ... well, bad luck.

60d

Door switch appears to be okay... Canon no longer service the 60D, so I guess time for a new camera :(

a1ex

ERR 80 is some error coming from the MPU. The battery icon is also controlled by the MPU. Since it's not blinking the SD LED when starting with a ML card, and it's not reacting to portable display test, that probably means the bootloader is unable to run, for some reason. I don't have the knowledge to diagnose this defect, sorry.

The case is similar to this: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17595

So, I'm afraid you were right about the new camera - unless somebody who knows how to fix this defect is going to prove me wrong.