KOKODA | Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.7 MMJ | EOS M RAW Upscaled 4K

Started by ZEEK, August 26, 2019, 12:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilia3101

Wow! I actually really like the look of this! Colours and detail both seem great.

What were your MLV App settings here? And how did you scale it? The detail looks incredible, not too oversharpened, just nice (I am watching on a 13 inch laptop though, true test will be 27 inch monitor)

Also this was shot in normal mode, not crop or anything?

ZEEK

Thank you :)
I used the normal eos m mode MCM Rewire 1736x976 and then upscaled it in mlv app to 3840x2160 4k. Used Alexa LOG C and placed a LOG Lut within MLV App as it seems too noisy if you do it in post. Clarity 5, Sharpen was between 50-100% depending on which scenes i wanted to be sharp and detailed and others not so much like landscspe. Exported as Prores 4444. I edoted this on my 2012 macbook pro with 130 clips and watched it on my 49inch 4K TV. Looks surprisingly equivalent to the 4k cameras I've recorded with. Guess the raw file holds more than we bargain for 😉 Thanks!
EOS M

KirbyLikes525

Really great camera movements! Hand-held, gimbal or both? And the ducks were my favorite shot sequence.
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

ZEEK

Thanks! ;)
Never used a Gimbal in my life. Although I purchased one 3 days ago, hopefully, it will look nice and keep the authentic style and not look like a hovercraft vehicle ;D. It was all hand-held. Yeah, love the duck shots! 
EOS M

IDA_ML

Zeek,

Absolutely amazing work, congratulations! 

Could you please elaborate a little more on the following statement of yours:

"Used Alexa LOG C and placed a LOG Lut within MLV App as it seems too noisy if you do it in post."

Did you first apply an Alexa LOG C LUT to the raw footage and then added another LOG lut on top of it?  Which one was that lut and is it available for download somewhere?  What kind of additional corrections do you do in MLVApp to preserve such clean and noise free footage?  And finally, how do you get rid of aliasing given the fact that you film in the 3x3 mode which is prone to pretty strong aliasing?

Also, how do you manage to hold the camera so still especially when you shoot longer focal length mechanical lenses that are not stabilized?  Do you use a tripod, monopod or anything else to get your shots so steady?

Thanks.

ZEEK

Glad you liked it :)
In MLV App. I selected LOG C, then towards the bottom I applied the M31 LUT There and tweaked the colour a little within MLV APP to get the look.
Noise-Free video is due to using a speedbooster, a fast aperture, and especially good exposure. There is aliasing in certain scenes albeit hard to see. E.g. on the little boat model there are some fine line aliasing. Doesn't bother me though as I used to get aliasing (sometimes worse) on my BMPCC, so I don't really care too much. I have even seen some on the URSA.

I used my hands the whole time. Held it as firm as I could with the neck strap and then applied stabilisation in post. Done.
EOS M

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot, Zeek, nice workflow!  Especially the stabilization in post ...

Luther

Really gentle mood. I like it.
The only issue I see is the aliasing. But there's not much we can do about it.

ZEEK

EOS M

Danne

Quote from: Luther on August 29, 2019, 03:31:07 AM
Really gentle mood. I like it.
The only issue I see is the aliasing. But there's not much we can do about it.
Anamorphic mode...;)

ZEEK

The whole thing was hand-held. Nothing else was used. Yeah, love the ducks part! :)
EOS M

DeafEyeJedi

DAMN @ZEEK's at it again!  Love these Ducks! This is all great stuff and thanks for collaborating.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ZEEK

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on September 07, 2019, 06:26:20 AM
DAMN @ZEEK's at it again!  Love these Ducks! This is all great stuff and thanks for collaborating.

No Problem, for the duck part I used x3 Crop, but I don't think many can tell! Thank You :) 
EOS M