Issues while recording video, later spread on more functions

Started by f1n4lly, August 26, 2019, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1n4lly

Hello there. So my story is quite simple. I installed ML on my canon 5d mark II about a year ago. I kind of forget about it since i was taking mostly stills for my work documentation (a lot of them) and recorded about 1h of material in total.

Recently i wanted to go next level with my video and took my camera out for some shooting. I have no idea if it is related but the first thing i do was trying to get focus zebra to work since it wasnt before. Seemed it was just an issue with pushing my "picture style" button. I took two or three 10 second long videos to see if everything was fine and moved on. When on set i tried to record again and my camera just froze (picture nr 1). Couldn't turn it off and only battery removal helped. I tried it couple of times and every time it was the same. Picture taking worked without any sort of problem.

So when i got home i start surfing the net and i found all sort of answers. The one that terrifies me the most is that my camera is "baked" and i should not touch because of possible causing more damage. As you can imagine i wanted to go into further testing. Until this point the problem only occured when going to livemod and pressing the record. Instant crash. I went through testing it with different memory cards, with and without lens, shooting without card, etc etc. What i noticed is that before the problem would occure once i hit record. When i removed lens it would crash just after hiting live mode. Then i made few pictures to see if its ok and it was. Assembled it again and right now it seems bricked. It starts but nothing appears inside viewfinder. I can change modes and my small lcd screen is working but just it. Cant hit the shutter, cant view pictures, dont really know what to do.

I dont think i ever opened my card while camera still runing or anything like that. Of course after the crashes it seems that i did. Also i had my shutter replaced just about 2 months ago. Since then i just made three photoshoots and it went almost flawless (i say almost because in the end of the longest one my camera had some error which i didnt really payd any attention to, switched to another one, finished the shoot, and had no problems the next day). Why shutter replacing might be relevant is the fact that after they did it (not canon official) all of my settings, including focus calibration were reset. That is unusual cause it shouldnt be a case. Oh and i told them that ML was installed on the camera

What should be my next steps? I might just come back to the service guys but i am afraid that it might get even worse.

a1ex

Any crash logs on the card? ML attempts to save them (e.g. when Canon firmware triggers an ERR70), and these could be useful to tell what happened.

Do you see any LED activity when starting the camera with a ML-enabled card? Are you able to run the portable ROM dumper?

f1n4lly

Hey a1ex. I gave it back to the service guys and they said that the "buffer" on the motherboard is broken and they can do nothing about it. The guy who does it is an old guy and im afraid he has no idea about electronics (just mechanics). Anyway i am taking camera back tommorow and will try doing your recomendations. I have crash logs since i deinstalled ML and formated card early on to see if it helps anything. shoudl i install it and see the logs also?
Cheers thanks for help

a1ex

Turns out it's a hardware issue. Camera appears to operate normally at first sight (can browse menus etc), but locks up upon crashing, so I wasn't able to save any interesting logs. Crashes also happen when starting without card, and to trigger them, one has to take a few pictures or to enter LiveView (it works fine for a while, then crashes). OP also sent me the following pictures:

f1n4lly

Hey guys. After a week of certanity that the main board is fried i come back with some answers. The issue was an connector between two parts of mainboard. It wasnt visible by any chance so only because of fair and great technician (canon official partner) and his check anything approach it was repaired without very expensive repair.

It might have been caused by the work the other, non-partner, workshop has done. And even if it wasnt the state of my camera guts was horrific. They put random screws in random places, broke the isolation, messed up the cables, relocated the sensor. So i have an advice for all of you - if its something bigger than cleaning sensor - pay more and have it done by proffesionals. Thanks for your help A1ex!