Author Topic: HDR video in still type dual-ISO?  (Read 420 times)

Oblivion

• New to the forum
HDR video in still type dual-ISO?
« on: August 21, 2019, 01:17:31 PM »
Hello.

HDR video feature switches ISO between frames, but Dual-ISO feature reads the sensor at varied ISO at once.
If video could be recorded in dualiso as it is in stills it could solve the frame rate/ghosting issue. Is it possible?

I guess someone must have thought of this before but a few quick searches revealed nothing.

Danne

• Contributor
Re: HDR video in still type dual-ISO?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 01:19:50 PM »
Well what you´re asking is already implemented. What camera and build?

walter_schulz

• Contributor
  • Senior
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
Well, Dual-ISO video not available in nightly builds for 5D2 (which he owns), 50D and 7D. Don't know status about this feature in Reddeercity's builds.

jpegmasterjesse

• Freshman
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 01:06:01 AM »
Right now in rdc's builds the custom experimental  dual-iso module someone whipped up for the 5d2 years ago gices an "OldApi" error.

Before all the crop-rec stuff happened I was able to get 12/10 bit dual iso running off of nightly builds.

reddeercity

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:26:51 AM »
I just update/ported dual-iso video to 4k5d2 crop_rec branch , just testing right now --  5xZoom & 3x3 (FHD) work @ 10bit
check in MLV App , but I had to force dual iso process as it was not detected right away . I'll post a build shortly in
 "3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams" thread

Edit: https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/magic-lantern_10-12bit/downloads/dual_iso_video-updates_8-21-2019.zip

masc

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
...check in MLV App , but I had to force dual iso process as it was not detected right away ...
If so, the metadata for dual iso detection is missing/wrong in the MLV file. Use dualMode and blockType in mlv_diso_hdr_t (DISO structure).
5D2.212 | EOSM.202

Oblivion

• New to the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 11:37:48 PM »
I've actually upgraded my collection with a 5d3 on 1.2.3 firmware, if that's what you meant by build. But you're right, I should have specified.

I've been playing around with crop_rec module.
I am just a user with no knowledge of the inner workings of the camera. I can read some code but that's about it.
Even looking for specific modules is a pain and I need to rely on google to find an article with a link to a module. took me ages to find crop_rec, and a youtube walkthrough to produce a failed 4k recording. I might not be technically savvy enough to use it right.
My point is I'm fairly confused at this point.

Well what you´re asking is already implemented.
Well, Dual-ISO video not available in nightly builds for 5D2
I had suspicions that this could have been done already as I think I saw a grid of dual-iso lines at the beginning of my recordings... but nothing else. I've also been using both cameras sporadically and that could have been an issue. Anyway, if it is implemented I would appreciate a link to some documentation; a user guide, something to help me make sense of when and how this is activated, how it works, how I can or should manage it in post etc.