HDR video in still type dual-ISO?

Started by Oblivion, August 21, 2019, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

Hello.

HDR video feature switches ISO between frames, but Dual-ISO feature reads the sensor at varied ISO at once.
If video could be recorded in dualiso as it is in stills it could solve the frame rate/ghosting issue. Is it possible?

I guess someone must have thought of this before but a few quick searches revealed nothing.

Danne

Well what you´re asking is already implemented. What camera and build?

walter_schulz

Well, Dual-ISO video not available in nightly builds for 5D2 (which he owns), 50D and 7D. Don't know status about this feature in Reddeercity's builds.

jpegmasterjesse

Right now in rdc's builds the custom experimental  dual-iso module someone whipped up for the 5d2 years ago gices an "OldApi" error.

Before all the crop-rec stuff happened I was able to get 12/10 bit dual iso running off of nightly builds.

reddeercity

I just update/ported dual-iso video to 4k5d2 crop_rec branch , just testing right now --  5xZoom & 3x3 (FHD) work @ 10bit
check in MLV App , but I had to force dual iso process as it was not detected right away . I'll post a build shortly in
"3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams" thread

Edit: https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/magic-lantern_10-12bit/downloads/dual_iso_video-updates_8-21-2019.zip

masc

Quote from: reddeercity on August 22, 2019, 05:26:51 AM
...check in MLV App , but I had to force dual iso process as it was not detected right away ...
If so, the metadata for dual iso detection is missing/wrong in the MLV file. Use dualMode and blockType in mlv_diso_hdr_t (DISO structure).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Oblivion

I've actually upgraded my collection with a 5d3 on 1.2.3 firmware, if that's what you meant by build. But you're right, I should have specified.

I've been playing around with crop_rec module.
I am just a user with no knowledge of the inner workings of the camera. I can read some code but that's about it.
Even looking for specific modules is a pain and I need to rely on google to find an article with a link to a module. took me ages to find crop_rec, and a youtube walkthrough to produce a failed 4k recording. I might not be technically savvy enough to use it right.
My point is I'm fairly confused at this point.

QuoteWell what you´re asking is already implemented.
QuoteWell, Dual-ISO video not available in nightly builds for 5D2
I had suspicions that this could have been done already as I think I saw a grid of dual-iso lines at the beginning of my recordings... but nothing else. I've also been using both cameras sporadically and that could have been an issue. Anyway, if it is implemented I would appreciate a link to some documentation; a user guide, something to help me make sense of when and how this is activated, how it works, how I can or should manage it in post etc.

DeafEyeJedi

Trying to understand this... so you managed to record Dual-ISO footage and just unable to process them properly in Post?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Oblivion

No...t sure.

As I understand it [now] there are two separate methods to record a higher dynamic range:

• To use HDR mode → which alternates frames between a low and high iso. These are later merged in post into hdr video which is not good with moving subjects
  • The Dual-iso method ← like a photo dual-iso but at 24fps, which I have only heard about now, and the only thing I know is that at start of video recording the back screen showed a pattern much like the one you find in a dual-iso still image. I am trying to find out how this works.

Oblivion

Alright, so here's what I've learned:

• DUAL-ISO VIDEO happens when you record video with dual-iso option and RAW video option turned on.
    • I had to download and install reddeercity's linked module or it to start working on 5DmkII.
    • You get a .MLV file that MLVAPP can process into normal video
    • The hashed footage (.MLV before the processing step) is cut to a 2:1 ratio. At the moment I am not sure whether this was not just my mistake or if it is normal; it seemed 3:2 during recording.

I am also not sure how pixel binning affects stretching as at 2:1 it would make current XYXY ISO lines into XXYYXXYY, and I suppose that would affect interpolaton. If there's a coherent guide on this I'd appreciate a link, but otherwise just Thanks, Red. :)

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Oblivion on September 26, 2019, 05:29:45 PM
    Alright, so here's what I've learned:

• DUAL-ISO VIDEO happens when you record video with dual-iso option and RAW video option turned on.
    • I had to download and install reddeercity's linked module or it to start working on 5DmkII.
    • You get a .MLV file that MLVAPP can process into normal video
    • The hashed footage (.MLV before the processing step) is cut to a 2:1 ratio. At the moment I am not sure whether this was not just my mistake or if it is normal; it seemed 3:2 during recording.

I am also not sure how pixel binning affects stretching as at 2:1 it would make current XYXY ISO lines into XXYYXXYY, and I suppose that would affect interpolaton. If there's a coherent guide on this I'd appreciate a link, but otherwise just Thanks, Red. :)

This is my first time hearing of dual iso on the 5D2. Thanks for this post. Has there been any main advantages in using it so far?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Walter Schulz

Dual-ISO in photo mode in 5D2 is working for ages. Dual-ISO in movie mode for 5D2 is new and exclusive to Reddeercity's custom build.
Advantages and disadvantages are discussed here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0
Postprocessing threads: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=56.0

alexboum