Cinema wide aspect crop question

Started by ItsMeLenny, August 19, 2019, 10:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

A question for anybody who has the correct answer; :P

When I see behind the scenes stuff for movies, they have their 16:9 monitor with multiple crop marks, but for the "cinema wide" crop mark (greater than 2:1 (the 2.39:1 or what not)) it is never positioned at the centre vertically...
Why?

ArcziPL

I would guess it has something to do with the composition. Example: the horizon should normally not be placed ideally in the middle of the frame but rather 1/3 or 2/3 of its height (or maybe golden ratio). To satisfy this rule for all formats, it requires matching the position of 1/3 of their height, not their centers.
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

yokashin

Probably because the material is created one camera for various later playback formats...

70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: yokashin on August 19, 2019, 03:08:01 PM
Probably because the material is created one camera for various later playback formats...

This argues for why it shouldn't be placed there, those crops happen in the centre.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: ArcziPL on August 19, 2019, 02:22:19 PM
I would guess it has something to do with the composition. Example: the horizon should normally not be placed ideally in the middle of the frame but rather 1/3 or 2/3 of its height (or maybe golden ratio). To satisfy this rule for all formats, it requires matching the position of 1/3 of their height, not their centers.

Ok, but why not frame the shot so that it is 1/3 or 2/3 the way down, instead of cropping off centre for uneven lens distortion.

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

ItsMeLenny

After pondering on the first response and the image from the second response and combining the two responses :P I think i can see whats going on now.