"Always On" (No Shutter Click or Reset After Any Given Time)

Started by Psyringe, August 14, 2019, 10:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psyringe

CURRENT: T3i (600d)
Long time ML user (8+ Years, Multiple Bodies).
Done some searching online, and a bit on the ML Website, no "Desired Solution".

Request: Genuine "Always On" during Idle.
Supplement Request: ML Aspect Resolution "Stick" after Resets, if above not possible.

The Idea: Affordable Broadcasting. Canons are mini-powerhouses, and even with the slight crop of the Mini HDMI it's still feasible to string 2-5 of these bodies to capture cards, correct the resolution on OBS, take awesome advantage of Canon Lenses as the linchpin in a broadcasting operation - as opposed to spending $500-$5000 for a new/used Zeiss on XDCAM.

The Results: In theory the idea is great, but after acting on it came to discover no matter the settings employed (Canon or ML) the camera will close it's shutter for 1-3 seconds after 15-30 minutes. It does this repeatedly... sometimes it doesn't, on rare occasion, but during sample broadcasting sessions it was to be expected. While recording the screen will turn Purple during the recording reset (12 Minutes), while Idle it will turn Black (harder to remove in OBS/Post). After the Idle reset, aspect resolution settings employed in ML (3:4, 16:10, 16:9) reset to Default, forcing the "Correct Choice" in OBS Setup.

If you're interested in trying this keep in mind that you lose your LCD screen, this is "Worked Around" by getting an external HDMI LCD Screen and splitting the signal. It's also handy to have a "Constant Power" battery source, ie. a battery with an outlet plug on it.

My Request: Can we make it so that the Shutter NEVER closes during a non-recorded format? So that the camera can sit Idle for the purpose of computer capture and broadcast without the intermittent visual loss? I've tried Photo, Video, and varied Video Resolution modes to extend Idle, doesn't seem to work. The concept of using Canon/ML this way could significantly reduce the price of broadcasting while significantly improving the quality/application. If that's not possible, is there a way to make the Aspect Ratio changes stick? - after a year of experimentation I'm persuaded to ask. Can we... change the world?

Thanks!

PS: Nikon has this. :|

walter_schulz

Already done: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20908.msg199105#msg199105

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download (dropdown menu) -> Experiments -> Lookup lua_fix build for your cam and copy it to your card.
Then access Prefs tab -> Powersave in Liveview -> 30-minutes timer Disable

Psyringe

"Live View", incorrect terminology on my part.
That worked, running a test now.

Attached to this feature was a Warning, claiming that this Powersave cycle is there for "Good Reason".
What are the risks? Assuming it's heat related?

Canon-Based Broadcasting online. Thanks!

To Others: This low-budget broadcasting option crushes a lot of Ebay/Amazon/Chinese alternatives. You'll have the power of a Canon ML Camera for photo and the ability to broadcast HD content with a Canon Lens - value depreciates much slower. Varying body you'll lose auto-focus features, but on a 3 Team (two cameras, one operator) this is hardly an issue, zooms aren't standard in low-level broadcasting. It's an easy way to become affordable to small business events and gain an edge on all forms of "Streaming Content" - made possible by ML.

Give your T2i purpose again by making it your webcam, etc.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Psyringe on August 15, 2019, 12:28:56 AM

To Others: This low-budget broadcasting option crushes a lot of Ebay/Amazon/Chinese alternatives. You'll have the power of a Canon ML Camera for photo and the ability to broadcast HD content with a Canon Lens - value depreciates much slower. Varying body you'll lose auto-focus features, but on a 3 Team (two cameras, one operator) this is hardly an issue, zooms aren't standard in low-level broadcasting. It's an easy way to become affordable to small business events and gain an edge on all forms of "Streaming Content" - made possible by ML.

Give your T2i purpose again by making it your webcam, etc.

Would love to see your setup of this mate. Thanks for this and please show us your magic!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Psyringe

Quote from: yourboylloyd on August 15, 2019, 02:21:49 AM
Would love to see your setup of this mate. Thanks for this and please show us your magic!

Will do. I was planning on including it in some form of "Low Budget Broadcasting" Tutorial. Few ways to save cash.
Soon, not right away, a few videos on that deployment.

Hardware / Advanced OBS / Third Party Software / Audio Solutions / Mobile Android Incorporation (3rd Party Hardware + Router Addition)

You could build a multi camera + computer + capture card kit for less than 1k.
Add the Router + Android to talk to people outside the conference/venue/event - ie. Radio 1080pish to the broadcast from cellphones on "Breaks" (varying hype of content).

Anyway... thank you for the HotFix and Inspiration. Hopefully this thread grabs a few eyes and adds to the hustle.