Best SD card for Canon EOS M + Magic Lantern

Started by jer3my, August 14, 2019, 10:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyup

64GB one. According to specs is up to 90 MB/s write and 200 MB/s read speed. Write speed spec is the same in theory as the 170 MB/s one.

Is actual M crop_rec build tweaked to 'golden standard' 170MB/s card?
EOS M, 15-45 IS STM, 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 200 MB/S

Walter Schulz

I actually don't know! What we know: There is no way to predict how any card type will react to ML's overclocking method.
So referring to any spec is not valid.
EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if 256 GB, 400 GB, 512 GB, 1 TB varieties showed different results. They are specified R200/W140.

Yesterday I did some tests with Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus R170/W90. They perform quite the same and allowed transfer rates above 70 MByte/s. Didn't test "anamorphic" modes, though.
Samsung PRO Plus R160/W120 performed well in benchmark but really sucks trying to record with overclocking and higher transfer rates.

gabriielangel

Quote from: wyup on August 04, 2022, 06:09:30 PM
I did. it doesn't make any difference. It ramps to 61-62 Mb/s briefly only to stop recording after 2-3-4 seconds.
Both hacks enabled, 2.8k Bit depth off.

at 2.8k, you won't get long clips at 14 bits. 10 bits will get you close to continuous and 12 bits will give you about 20-30 seconds. You can get more by underexposing the image and/or moving the camera slowly.

Danne

Actually, the latest hacks from thebilalfakhouri actually makes 2.8k continuous. Maybe even with 14 bits?

gabriielangel

I tried last weekend, but I could not get it to record continuously under the sun (Wiith some shade, I got continuous at 10 bits) If you enable lvface+aewb, you're right, you'll get continuous at 12 bits, but you cannot use shutter fine tuning.

I reported the subtleties in this post: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26443.msg238437#msg238437

I will post some samples when I get time off, but when the exposure and focus are done right, 2.5k gives you  reliability and plenty of satisfaction :)

p.s. I haven't benchmarked your latest (August 04 2022) build though. I did not see it in the commits, but did you add speed mods compared to the last build?

gabriielangel

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on August 01, 2022, 01:02:07 PM

Did this crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2022Jul31.EOSM202.zip work for you?

Did anyone get 70 MB/s write speed now on EOS M?

I'm a little late here, but here are my eosm bench results using the aforementioned build.
bench1" border="0

With the lvface hack, I can get about 30 seconds at 12 bits, histogram showing 1.8 and even exposure (Sandisk Extreme pro 170 MB/s, 128 GB)

Leszek Wysocki

I know that not in the topic, but maybe someone will be interested. A few days ago I bought a SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC 512 GB card on the Polish portal - SDSDXXY-512G-GN4IN for 60$ (279PLN). I tested it in a laptop reader and the transfers are the same as in SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC 256 GB (purchased by me earlier in the official distribution). I also tested it in 5Dmk3 and with 240MHz settings in the record it has ~ 95 MB / s (analogous to the 256 GB version). The seller declares 14 days for a return and a two-year warranty (I assume that only in Poland, because we have such domestic regulations). I am not related to the seller in any way and I do not have any profit from this entry.

https://allegro.pl/oferta/karta-sdxc-sandisk-extreme-pro-512-gb-170mb-s-12543428724
5D Mark III 1.2.3 + Canon EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS USM
CF Kingston 128GB Canvas Focus
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2022May15

blablabla32

Hey, hey! 

I know its an old topic... but I just now discovered this SD overclock thing... And I was wondering if someone tried it out with silent picture mode?

My aim would be to take more pictures... at the moment I think it needs 1-3 seconds to save the picture. So I can take picture only every some seconds with silent picture on. Is it possible to make more, like every second or this other mode "take pictures like crazy" ?

Thank to all of you beautiful people here!  <3

Andre

PS : If anyway I can not take pictures faster, then probably I would buy a cheaper card. What standard would you recommend? UHS-1, V10, Class 10... sorry if this sound dumb.

Walter Schulz

First thing to do to accelerate silent pics: Write to MLV instead of DNG.
And you can use oc as well.
I just tried and got 18 FRSP frames in  around 25 seconds.

Have you tried crop mood's "Full-Res LV" mode? 3 fps ...

blablabla32

I was using MLV. Accidentally I reseted my ML settings - took my some time to enable silent pic as I totally forgot how I activated it some time ago - and now the cam takes pictures every two seconds without stopping when I set it to 1 sec. Before it would stop, if there was not enough time to save the picture so I had to set the interval meter to 4 sec. So 0.5 FPS is already some improvement... but 18 in 25 would be better. :)

When I set the interval meter to "like crazy" it takes RAW pictures instead of MLV.

I searched for the OC modules on the cam... and found out I have only Nightly.2018.Jul03.EOSM202 build. What build would you recommend to use silent pic and oc mode together? I recently bought the cam as my old one was broken and this was the build that was there.

Maybe this is the reason I have no "Full-Res LV" in the silent pic menu. Only "Full-res", "Simple", "Burst"...

I could imagine using OC will make it only a little bit faster? Or? In this case I could stick to the old card instead buying a new faster one. Happy to hear opinion on this.

Thank you! :)

Walter Schulz

It seems to be you're the only M user never heard of this one: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.0 ;-)

"Full-Res LV" is a movie setting exclusive to Crop Mood build and not part of silent.mo.

You need a fast card compatible with 240 MHz oc frequency to take full advantage. My price/performance favorite is Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB (2021 edition, K suffix). Here is an list of tested cards: https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/cards_240mhz

Performance without oc: Around 38 MByte/ writing to card.
With oc @240 MHz: Around 84 MByte/s.
Those numbers cannot be achieved in silent mode, though. I get around 32 MByte/s on average.