Best SD card for Canon EOS M + Magic Lantern

Started by jer3my, August 14, 2019, 10:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jer3my

Hey!

I just have bought budget Canon EOS M with a Canon 22 f/2 lens from a co-worker who's working for the marketing department of Apknite. I'm a comp/dmp adept and my main reason for buying this equipment was to take some photo references for matte painting and to record some short clips to exercise roto/paint and other comp stuff. As I learned, EOS M was one of the cheapest gear at the market that offers to record in RAW, and yes, I'm aware it's not a pro camera...not even close.... yet it's still better than smartphone:) Since I'm a total newbie here, I would like to ask you about the best option in terms of SD/SDHC card for my EOS M to install Magic Lantern and record/take photos in RAW.

Extra questions, do you have any experience with small, portable, not expensive tripods? Which one is worth buying for someone on a tight budget?

Thank you very much for any suggestions,

Cheers!

walter_schulz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s or same type with higher/lower storage capacity.

Cards with faster designation (150, 170 MB/s) are a tad slower and UHS-II cards have to work in UHS-I mode when used in EOS M.

yokashin

Quote from: jer3my on August 14, 2019, 10:18:04 AM
Extra questions, do you have any experience with small, portable, not expensive tripods? Which one is worth buying for someone on a tight budget?

I recommend the great ZEEK channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCn0RQHYheA41EudwmLnYKA/videos
70D.112 [main cam] | M.202 | S110 [CHDK]

ricardopt

Quote from: walter_schulz on August 16, 2019, 07:20:17 AM

Cards with faster designation (150, 170 MB/s) are a tad slower and UHS-II cards have to work in UHS-I mode when used in EOS M.

from another thread:
Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 17, 2019, 08:13:54 PM
Performance of those 300 MB/s cards (UHS-II interface) is inferior to 95 MB/s cards (UHS-I). When used in cams with UHS-I interface ... and your M doesn't have UHS-II.

Hi Walter, found a good deal on a 128gb uhs-II sandisk extreme pro sdcard, will it work with the EOS-M or do i need to get a UHS-1?
Thanks for any info

Walter Schulz

Answered in quote.

If it is an older 280 MB/s Extreme Pro: Don't use it. In compatibililty mode write performance is just around 46 MByte/s.

ricardopt

Sorry Walter but when reading your answers i got confused, thats why i asked, you say performance of uhs2 card is slower than uhs1 on a uhs1 interface but you finalize your sentence with saying the EOS-M doesnt have UHS2 interface...language barrier for me  i guess, i just wanted to know if this uhs2 card will handle the all the high resolution recording modes on the EOS-M or will the write speed drop below 50MB/s because of the uhs1 interface?
Thanks

ricardopt

just read your (edited) answer, this is the card:
https://www.nanochip.pt/pt-pt/produto/sandisk-micro-sdxc-card-extreme-pro-uhs-ii-128gb-sansdsqxcy128ggn6m

when i search for partnumber "SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA" i only get UHS 1 results, maybe its a typo or wrong image on website.

ricardopt

Thanks yokashin, i was looking for a shop in my country, i just called the shop but i seems they're as confused as i was, got to look elsewhere.
Once again thanks.

Walter Schulz

Serial number and picture are for UHS-I card. Card is listed for around 33 € in german shops. Can't see why this should be a deal.

I have no information if UHS-II cards (which will work in EOS M, as I wrote in quoted texts) will do overclocking in UHS-I compatibility mode.

ricardopt

hi, amazon DE is 33 euros but out of stock, free delivery not available for other countries plus delivery charges, over here for 40 euros and next day delivery is a good deal, thanks Walter i guess it must be an error on the website.

ricardopt

I might have left out a SMALL detail, i have a DJI Osmo Pocket and it records video @100MB/s thats why i was looking for the extreme pro model since it supports those speeds, if i ever stop using the EOS-M i can use the card on the Osmo Pocket.

Thanks for all the advices, will wait for those results when you test uhs2 on uhs1 device.

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but I think your Osmo records at 100 MBit/s, not 100 MByte/s. And Extreme Pro with UHS-I interface won't write at 100 MByte/s ...

ricardopt

:) you're right so much writting variations with lower/uppercase "b", i completely forgot about that, i just saved 40 euros, the DJI Osmo records @100mbps (12.5MBps), i have a 95MBps 64GB on the Osmo when it only needs a 12.5MBps card, from now on that one goes to the EOS-M.

Thanks Walter.

wmtr

New to the forum, here to post some findings. Just got my first Eos M and I have some sd/micro sd cards laying around, before I buy a new one I thought I would test them out first.

Samsung EVO select microsd 128GB,   160Mhz gives best results @ 54.5MB/s, which is enough for 1080p at 14bit, which is the only mode I need, this card runs about $20 on amazon.
Samsung EVO select microsd 256GB,   192Mhz gives best results @ 56MB/s, which is enough for 1080p at 14bit, this card currently sells at $35 on amazon, I got it when it was on sale at $25.
sandisk extreme Pro 95MB/s 32Gb,      192Mhz gives best results @ 44MB/s, just about barely enough for 1080p at 14bit.
SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC, this card is a no no, it barely goes above 20MB/s, so not enough for magic lantern.
Patriot LX Series 64GB, slightly better than Sandisk Ultra, goes to about 28MB/s, still not enough for magic lantern.

So shooting at 1080p 16:9 at 14bit, you are gonna need at least 41 MB/S writing speed. A 64GB card is gonna give you around 20minutes of footage, 128GB 40min, 256GB 80min and so on so forth. Based on my personal experience, a 8-10 hours shooting day(story based short film), I usually get about 60-75 mins of actual footage on camera. So for me, 256GB is the minimum.

So if you are like me looking for a cheaper alternatives to the much praised but more expensive SanDisk Extreme PRO, samsung evo select is a pretty good contender, they are not as fast as Sandisk extreme pro, but  good enough for what I need.

Currently I'm waiting for a 256GB Samsung pro plus full size SD card to be delivered,  I got it when the price is marked down to $30 for 256GB size, not sure it's temporary or permanent. It's supposedly designed for 'professional' use so I expect it to be more durable and writes fast than the consumer grade EVO select. I will report back when I receive it.

wmtr

Ok, got the Samsung Pro Plus sd card today (not the micro-sd version)

It's slightly better thatn evo select micro sd version but not by much.

160Mhz   writes at 54.8MB/s
192Mhz   writes at 59.7MB/s
240Mhz   writes at 19.7MB/s

so 192Mhz is the best fit. And since it's marked as 'professional', hopefully it will be more durable than evo select version.

jdukesa

Quote from: wmtr on July 05, 2021, 08:56:58 PM
Ok, got the Samsung Pro Plus sd card today (not the micro-sd version)

It's slightly better thatn evo select micro sd version but not by much.

160Mhz   writes at 54.8MB/s
192Mhz   writes at 59.7MB/s
240Mhz   writes at 19.7MB/s

so 192Mhz is the best fit. And since it's marked as 'professional', hopefully it will be more durable than evo select version.

I tested Samsung pro plus micro sd(with adapter)  It reached out 67MB/s Writing only in 160MHz, anything beyond that falls to 19MHz.

Waiting for a SanDisk Extreme Pro I bought directly from Western digital website(hoping it is not a counterfeit card  :-\)

TrincaEspinhas

Quote from: jdukesa on June 13, 2022, 04:22:19 AM
I tested Samsung pro plus micro sd(with adapter)  It reached out 67MB/s Writing only in 160MHz, anything beyond that falls to 19MHz.

Waiting for a SanDisk Extreme Pro I bought directly from Western digital website(hoping it is not a counterfeit card  :-\)

Hey! I got my EOS M a couple days ago and a Samsung Pro Plus Micro SD (with adapter) 128GB today. I can't seem to get more than 56MB/s at 160MHz. Anything above or below just drops to insanely low speeds... Any tips? I'm thinking about just putting this card on my Sister's camera and get a Sandisk Extreme Pro for myself...

wyup

Hello,

I've just bought a new recent 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 200 Mb/s 90 Mb/s for my new EOS M/15-45 combo and I don't get more than 56-57 Mb/s (red and yellow) on live recording at 5k frtp 16:9, default 190 MHz, for a few seconds for dark scenes, two seconds for brighter ones. If I choose any other frequency, speed drops.
I tried manual pc format up to 512kb cluster size exfat, to no improvement.

I was expecting 70 Mb/s as I read somewhere with regular 170 Mb/s Extreme Pro. I don't know if this new card works well with ML.
EOS M, 15-45 IS STM, 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 200 MB/S

Walter Schulz

We have no way to predict how a particular card type may react to overclocking. Results may differ for different camera types, too.
And it is the first time any test was done for this recently introduced card. I read about an "UHS312" mode used by Sandisk.

And, yes: Extreme Pro in its 170 MB/s variety is considered to be gold standard ATM.

theBilalFakhouri

@wyup

Run card benchmarks in PLAY mode:

-Set SD overclock to 192 MHz.
-Load Bench.mo from "Modules" tab in ML settings, restart camera.
-Turn OFF RAW video and crop modes.
-Go to "Debug" tab from ML settings --> Benchmarks --> Card Benchmarks --> Quick R/W benchmark (1 min)  then press PLAY button.

Share the result.

wyup

I have no way to enter ML menu in PLAY mode. I can only enter ML menu by pressing down/trashcan in LiveView mode.

I've run two benchmarks as you say, in HD 1080p, Global Draw off, Raw video off and sound recording OFF.

1st test:  1st pass:  W: 59.7 MB/s   R: 64.3 MB/s
              2nd pass: W: 60.0 MB/s   R: 64.1 MB/s
2nd test: 1st  pass: W: 60.0 MB/s   R: 65.2 MB/s
              2nd pass: W: 60.4 MB/s   R: 65.6 MB/s   

Walter Schulz

Quote from: wyup on June 27, 2022, 12:31:49 AM
I have no way to enter ML menu in PLAY mode.   

Start benchmark in photo and video mode. Immediately after starting press "Play" button.

wyup

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 27, 2022, 12:39:14 AM
Start benchmark in photo and video mode. Immediately after starting press "Play" button.
I can't enter ML menu from Playback mode in any photo or video mode. Even if I inmediately press "Play" button upon upon starting.

In practical recording I can't get past 57 MB/s.