Raw DNG files from premiere pro to AE

Started by beske, August 13, 2019, 09:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beske

Hi everyone!
I imported raw DNG files into premiere after having converted from the MLV format. I just finished editing the video. I now want to continue the post processing in AE for color correction and so on, but I'm having troubles with this. When I choose the "replace with after effects composition" in premiere, it only exports one frame to AE. It does the same if I choose to import the entire sequence in AE from premiere. I would very much like to use AE for the color correction since premiere lacks some key options.
Do any of you know how to import raw uncompressed dng files from premiere to AE after the editing work is done?

Thank you!   

Dmytro_ua

AE is very slow, hardware demanding and is not really designed for color correction. If you need a great color grading tool - start to discover Davinci Resolve. It has great tools, masking, tracking, stabilizing, composing and other tools. A free version has almost everything you need. Also really fast export in comparison to AE.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

yourboylloyd

You did it backwards. If you open the ORIGINAL DNG files in AE and then color correct them, you can replace the footage. That's probably the fastest way.

Resolve is way better though.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

beske

It is possible to color correct without having to start my edit all over again?

yourboylloyd

Quote from: beske on August 13, 2019, 10:22:22 PM
It is possible to color correct without having to start my edit all over again?

Yes. I'll say it step by step.

1. Open the Original DNG clip in AE. Make sure frame rate matches your premiere by right clicking and interpreting footage
2. In AE, Color correct the original DNG clip.
3. Render it out as a MOV or H264 file
4. In premiere, replace the Original DNG's with the newly rendered MOV's

It will automatically replace the clips in your original edit with the color corrected ones.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

beske

Okay, thank you very much.
Will it be better using Resolve, and is it still possible without having to start over?