[SOLVED] 50D Underexposing in LiveView

Started by oldskoolnj, August 29, 2012, 06:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskoolnj

Not sure if a problem or some setting I turned on while fiddling. EVerything on the camera and the new firmware seems to work fine except for one area. When I turn on live view mode the image on screen is very ghosted if there is movement. Then when I take a shot almost all images are bing shot at 1/1000 - 1/8000 of a second. This for example was today in the house with some natural light shooting at ISO 100-400. I should be no where near that for those conditions. I have run through everythnig that makes sense to me and can not find. AGain if I shoot through my viewfinder all is fine and dandy.

On a side note, if I remove the memory card my camera will not turn on. is this normal? I am actually shutting down the camera first and then removing. If I try to turn it back on it will not. Normal or not?

Kevin
OldSkool

nanomad

The camera should turn on without a card in (only the battery)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

Turn off FPS override.

Also, why people don't read bold warnings? The shutdown problem is mentioned 3 times in the install guide, one time in the user guide (under Important Notes) and also here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/bestpractices

oldskoolnj

I actually just found the turn off thing. I did read it last night. Today I re read it and it triggered.

Let me try to the FPS thing and get back to you.

Thank you!

Kevin

oldskoolnj

So first I will thank you as the FPS settings did fix it.

Second I will ask if A1exs attitude towards me missing something in the guide is something that is normal on these forums? Too many forums like that on the net and I want nothing to do with them. Didn't know it was such a crime, that you take way too much offense to, to miss something when reading a pretty long set of guides.

I will stay thank you for helping me with my problem.

Kevin
OldSkool Photography

a1ex

Then, can you explain why we have to say the same things over and over again?

Should they be written in blinking red?

oldskoolnj

We all dont live in your perfect world sir. I work as a corporate consultant for the most profitable computer company in the world and I truly understand the value in reading the manual. I also know the value of searching a forum first so I do not get nasty posts like you immediately afterwards. However sometimes you do not see right away what you are looking for. Atop of that right now my life is not going so perfect so maybe it was just me who missed that. Maybe it is the stress of my brother who recently received brain damage and wakes somedays not knowing who any of us or even himself is. Then has also accumulated over half a million dollars worth of bills that go unpaid to this day. Then in the middle of that I am suffering from one of the most painful viruses any man or woman can deal with mixed with four medications to fight it. The medications effects alone are enough to mess with your concentration and everything else in your life. Not sitting here listing these things for a woe is me party. Just would like to give some people who attack "newbies" on forums because they ask a question (that you clearly know the answer to and could give a simple answer to). Maybe give someone the benefit of the doubt next time and just politely answer their question. I am glad your worst problems are answering someones question on a forum designed to help people with the software which you obviously care enough about to be a moderator for. Afetr watching these videos with Trammel Hudson and reading about him I thought this would be a great community to join and would receive help. I was obviously wrong. I am done with this convo. I have much more imperative things to worry about in my life. I am not even sure why I am going as far as to write this post. (maybe some glimmer of hope that you will read this and think twice before offending the next person who posts about something that "They should obviously know" because it is written on a page amoungst all the other hundreds of pages that thou should never miss a single detail because they may upset you)

Kevin
OldSkool Photography

a1ex

You will receive help as long as you do your homework. And you have received help and solved both of your issues, so what's the problem?

The question was serious, it was something already written in bold, as "Very important" or "Important notes", not something thrown "on a page amoungst all the other hundreds of pages". It's something that can't be fixed, so you need to know that when using ML. What should I do to make sure the users read this?

g3gg0

@oldskoolnj:
please understand that many problems can be solved if the people would read that page with that big fat warnings.
and as alex said, the referred page not a grave of hundreds of posts, but a collection of well-prepared known-issues.
you are encouraged to read that multiple times along with a warning you might brick your camera if you don't.

answering the same questions again and again is quite boring. especially if you do this as hobby.

this is a community - to criticise is absolutely okay if you have a better solution you can come up with.
feel free (!) to contribute by answering the questions and giving 1st level support in the forums to provide a better service.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

kihlbahkt

my two cents:::
OldSkool
READ the guides twice before you do any installing of ML. Read the guides when you are making changes to the settings so you know what you are doing. No one is perfect, ask questions in the forum. Please dont get offended or insult others when you are provided with valuable support that solves your problem. This is a great community and I think that the personal struggles you listed may be a factor in your negative response and characterization of Alex. A little too much drama for a technical support board.  I think that if you can get past the initial negative perceptions you will find that there is great value in this forum for you and everyone else. If you can't we will still be here helping each other.
600D x2

CoopsyLoops

Firstly, OldSkool thanks for posting this question. I had the exact same (but opposite ie over exposed) problem and it's been doing my head in for the past hour. Secondly thanks Alex for the excellent fix. I don't understand why it's necessary to switch FPS Override off but maybe I don't need to! :-)

So all great and I'll be a regular visitor on here I'm sure.

Finally though just to add my thoughts to the way this conversation erupted. Alex, yes you are right that many users don't read manuals (the phrase DYOR springs to mind) and that some are lazy. However I for one am not a camera pro, just aspiring to be and learning at breakneck pace. There is a lot to absorb in the wonderful ML and it can be very confusing...not always knowing the right question to ask.

I suppose what I'm saying is simply that a little consideration from all sides might make the world a nicer place. Alex your first reply to OS could simply have been finished off with "Regarding the shutdown problem, this is refered to in the User Guide which can be found here..". Basically the same message but more likely to ellicit a "hey, thanks for the info" type reply.

Anyhoo, my thanks to you all. ML is a god send ..long may it and this excellent community thrive!

Coops