Cupcake: (Baby Shower) | EOS M | ML Raw 2.5K | Ashahi Super Takumar 50mm f1.4

Started by belalkhansocial, July 31, 2019, 03:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belalkhansocial

"Cupcake" Baby Shower Short documentary shot on Canon EOS M using Magic Lantern Raw at 2.5K with 5x crop along with an Ashahi Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 vintage lens.

This video is first foray into 2.5K using the EOS M which I upscaled to 4K following Zeek's tutorials on YouTube.

Used an Ashahi Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (m42 to EF) with a .7x viltrox speedbooster (EF to EF-M) which at 5:1 crop (Effectively 250mm) had me shooting super close up indoors.

I think I pushed the coloring a bit far resulting in a lot of grain, but overall I think it came out good.

KirbyLikes525

You are a real deal storyteller! How much editing experience do you have because that was excellent. It's a baby shower but you focused on these cool mini stories with the little girl, the ballons, the chess game that the baby shower itself was the background to those stories. I heard J and L cuts and your cuts in general were absolutely surgical. Great editing that really brought me in. That was really well put together!

I don't think you pushed the color too far and I don't see a lot of grain but I do notice artifacts either from file compression, upscaling, or both of those combined. Did you export h264 or h265? h265 was developed for 4k but with the upscaling there's still going to be some artifacts. This thread is upscaled to 4k but he uploaded a claimed lossless codec: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24333.0
So it's probably just a matter of finding the right export settings for upscaled 4k which is what I'm testing now too.
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

yourboylloyd

Super Takumar!!!!! I used to love this lens! The only bad side is that it makes shots really yellow, but it's soooo good! Good to see someone who's good at compositing shots use it. These shots were amazing!

I can see where you pushed the colors, but to me those shots were worth it! The dynamic range was incredible. Maybe next time you can denoise? It actually wasn't that bad to be honest. Keep it up and keep posting! I'm looking forward to more.

P.S be careful of the radiation that comes off of that lens!
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

belalkhansocial

Quote from: KirbyLikes525 on August 01, 2019, 03:47:05 PM
You are a real deal storyteller! How much editing experience do you have because that was excellent. It's a baby shower but you focused on these cool mini stories with the little girl, the ballons, the chess game that the baby shower itself was the background to those stories. I heard J and L cuts and your cuts in general were absolutely surgical. Great editing that really brought me in. That was really well put together!

I appreciate the kind words!

Edited my first video back in 2002 on a VCR.
Then in 2003 buddy of mine introduced me to his iMac.

A year later I was demoted to Windows Movie Maker which frustrated me enough to get Adobe Premiere 6. Few years and some paid gigs later Upgraded to CS3.

I also had the benefit of my university having a full-time film program. I was attending business school part-time, working full-time, and sneaking into film classes on my free-time. By the time I graduated (7.5 years in total) I went through the film curriculum twice over.

Although, to be fair, I learn less about storytelling and more about the technicalities of film-making and history. I got more storytelling lessons from my day-job as a marketing manager.

KirbyLikes525

I did my first edit on my VCR too, Linkin Park's "Crawling" to DBZ Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 during the Cell Saga lol. Nice on the sitting in the film classes and you're very keen to naturally pick up on the stories that are around you everyday on your job.
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build