Summer Camp in Greece

Started by xaled, July 29, 2019, 03:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaled

My summer camp footage made with 600D and tragic lantern.

I'm not a professional videographer filming only occasionally during vacations. This is my second fully edited video and first time ever using a gimbal.

Vignetting on some clips is not an artistic choice but a cheap variable ND filter that was found to be bad after the shooting.

I showed the rought cut at the closing of the camp and got overwhelming response from kids and parents. Thank you magic(tragic)lantern for that feeling!

Shot with:
- Canon 600D
- Tragic Lantern
- Tokina 11-16 F2.8 (IF) DX
- Sigma 28-70mm 1:2.8 EX DG
- Weebill lab gimbal

Soundtrack:
- Birds - Imagine Dragons
- Blue Jeans - Lana Del Rey - Vintage Reggae CafĂ© 

KirbyLikes525

Video says "Not Available" in the post so I reloaded the page and spam clicked the top left corner over the channel name to go direct to YouTube for the video. I've had that issue on my last post and don't know why.

I love "home movies" so I enjoyed it! And I really liked your gimbal movements from going under the green archway until the end of the video. What gimbal?

I learned the cheap ND = vignetting lesson the hard way too but it didn't distract me in your video.

Finally, from a technical standpoint, your export settings didn't do the video justice. I could tell the shots at the pool, on the water and the arts and crafts were just full of life with color but the bit rate couldn't bring it out. May I suggest my own settings?
1080p/23.976fps - VBR 2 Pass, Target: 18Mbps, Max: 25Mbps
1080p/29.97fps - VBR 2 Pass, Target: 22Mpbs, Max: 32Mbps

I got those numbers from:
(resolution x fps x 8bits)/4^2 so (1920x1080x23.976x8)/16 = Max bitrate. I round that number up to next integer.
8 = bit depth of h264 encoding
4^2 = 4x4; the smallest macroblock created by h264 encoder, i.e. least compression. The other macroblocks are 8x8 and 16x16

For the target bitrate I divide the Max by sqrt(2) as a matter of personal preference. I chose sqrt(2) because it's double the area of the 4x4 macroblock but still smaller than the 8x8 macroblock area which means relatively low compression throughout.
If you shoot in 2.4 or 2.35 aspect then recalculate to factor in the less-than-1080 height.
Caution: 1 min ~ 100MB!
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

whitelight

Yes, definitely something is wrong with the bitrate used, sharpness is very low, even worse than standard H264

xaled

Hi KirbyLikes525,

appreciate your comments and glad you liked the video!

The gimbal is Weebill Lab.

Most of the gimbal movements were done intuitively as it the first time I'm using one. I watched quite a few youtube tutorials and tried to apply the information to the shooting. There is a big "pitfall" with a gimbal. Because it is so easy to move with it it is hard to stop moving and you end up with clips that have movements in all directions. Now you have to edit it to something meaningful.

Regarding youtube - you hit it right. It is actually the second version of the video that I did using handbrake and insane 60Mbps. It took several hours to upload. I did it because I did not like the quality davinci resolved produced with youtube output preset. Now comes the conspiracy part - right after upload the video looked great, but the following days it turned to what you see. Now I am confused and do not know what to think and how to work with youtube.

KirbyLikes525

A Zhiyun product, great! I'm familiar with their phone gimbals.

From what I've Google'd, seems like everyone has fought YouTube to get their videos looking the best lol.

What file did you use to import into handbrake? The original Resolve youtube preset or a different export?
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

xaled

Really love the gimbal. It is compact and easy to balance. It even worked connecting 600D to gimbal and use gimbal controls for av, tv, iso, video start/stop etc.

I used DNxHD to export from davinci. Handbrake encodes way better than davinci but it takes hours.

Concerning youtube I have a feeling that they re-encode videos to lower bitrate to save space if it does not get the view counts.