Canon 5D Mark II not accepting ML install.....help!!!

Started by justin1985, July 23, 2019, 08:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin1985

OK. So I tried hard to avoid posting this. I'm sure I'm being an idiot and missing something obvious.

After the better part of a week trying to get Magic Lantern to run on my 5D II, I have come to the conclusion that I need some help.

I followed the install instructions to the T, and multiple times. It seems the bootflag is not getting set. I tried using the EOScard to make the card bootable as shown, but to no avail. Every time I go to install magic lantern it says bootflag already set. Any help would be appreciated. I went through the forum and tried everything and nothing worked. So here I am. Helllllppppp. Please.

Walter Schulz

In case you are using SD-to-CF adapter -> Don't.
If not: After reboot press trashcan button.

justin1985

I have a USB CF reader. I've tried hitting the trashcan. No luck.

Walter Schulz

1) Format card using cardreader and PC.
2) Format card using cam
3) Insert card into cardreader and copy extracted ZIP content to card.
4) Insert card into cam and run firmware update.
5) After ML installation completed restart cam before timeout sets in (60 seconds)
6) After restart press trashcan button.

Report back.

justin1985

These are the steps I've done before. I did them again. Goes through the ML install, I restart and press the trashcan button and nothing happens.

Walter Schulz

Which card are you using?
Try to use a spare one. Any slow and outdated CF-card will do. You can go below 256 MByte...

justin1985

I have tried a Sandisk Extreme PRO 64GB as well as another brand 64GB. Both 160mb/s. Neither worked.

Walter Schulz

a1ex

Why? I'd be surprised if CF card size would affect the installation process in any way.

I'd rather double-check the 60-second timeout, as that one is easy to overlook. If it's not that, we'll need a video of what OP is doing.

OK, there was an issue - many years ago - with exFAT cards, if the FIR file did not have an uppercase 8.3 filename. This is no longer an issue, to my knowledge, and it did not apply to 5D2 in the first place.

Walter Schulz

He didn't tell which version he is trying to install. Could be v2.3 ... ;-)

justin1985

Installing the latest nightly build. Camera firmware is updated to 2.1.2.. I am cycling the camera off then on when it says to restart.

Walter Schulz

It's time for a small movie: Record installation process. Make sure to get at least some frames where a1ex can have a sharp look upon those 4 status lines in the upper right corner and status message about cam's bootflag status (4 lines on top, bigger font) after installation is complete.

reddeercity

Did the op cycle thought the "Info" button ? Sometimes I've seen where you need to cycle the info until the ML menu come up