Why is DaVinci Resolve so much faster than Adobe for ML RAW?!?

Started by yourboylloyd, June 25, 2019, 12:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yourboylloyd

Just curious as to what's going on here. I was a complete slave/loyalist to the After Effects to Premiere workflow on my PC when editing Magic Lantern RAW video. I loved the camera raw process using the script importer. BUT...

I finally tried Resolve and was amazed with how easy it was to just import DNG folders with sound already enabled. And Resolve is SOOOOOO much faster.

My Computer Specs are:
i7-9700K OverClocked to 5ghz
2x 1080 ti's
48GB RAM

After effects barely can even load one frame per second when playing back 1080p MLRAW video. But Resolve plays with NO LAG.

Does anyone know why Resolve is so much faster? Are my after effects settings wrong? My GPU usage is actually increased when Resolve is running but not so much with After Effects.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

andy kh

i use premiere pro and resolve workflow. premiere pro plays 1080 raw in realtime but not in resolve so i cut in premiere pro and grade in resolve. rendering is way faster in resolve  in my 10yr old laptop with just 2gb graphic card
5D Mark III - 70D

masc

This always depends on how it is implemented and what hardware is used in what way by this implementation...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

yourboylloyd

Quote from: andy kh on June 25, 2019, 07:26:49 AM
i use premiere pro and resolve workflow. premiere pro plays 1080 raw in realtime but not in resolve so i cut in premiere pro and grade in resolve. rendering is way faster in resolve  in my 10yr old laptop with just 2gb graphic card

How do you import 1080p raw in premiere? I thought premiere can only "see" in 8bit anyway.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

andy kh

Quote from: yourboylloyd on June 25, 2019, 04:40:09 PM
How do you import 1080p raw in premiere? I thought premiere can only "see" in 8bit anyway.

it supports cdng. lots of options to convert to cdng. best i think the best is mlvfs. ooen the folder where your cdng is. click only the first dng and drag and drop in premiere pro. now you can start editing like you edit any other format. premiere pro wil play cdng in realtime so its so much easier to cut
5D Mark III - 70D