La Palma Island - with EOS 5D2 and EOS M

Started by masc, July 16, 2019, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Some weeks ago I traveled with my two EOS cams to the Island La Palma. Here is my final short holiday film - made from over 450GB of MLV files.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFSv2oe544
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Kharak

Wow that is a beautiful place and you really show it!

All graded in MLV App? How about the edit? Share some goodie workflow read ;)

once you go raw you never go back

masc

Thanks guys. Yes, all is graded in MLVApp only. Here my workflow:

1. MLVApp:
- import all MLV files
- export all clips as ProRes 422 Proxy (small and fast for cutting)
2. FCPX:
- Cut the project
- Export FCPXML
3. MLVApp:
- import FCPXML
-> the session includes only the used clips
-> correct/grade colors only in used clips
- export clips as ProRes 4444 (best quality for final)
4. FCPX:
- select all clips in media pool
- relink these files with the graded files (FCPX just relinks the graded ones)
-> now the project has the correct color
- set project to ProRes 4444
- export project
5. ffmpeg:
- upscale to 4K using lanczos algorithm for better youtube quality

That should be it.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

yourboylloyd

I can literally put this video on a loop and watch it for the rest of my life.

Nice shots. Truly amazing. I wish I knew which ones were EOSM and 5D mark2. I noticed some aliasing so maybe those were 5d2? idk. Amazing footage regardless.

Did you shoot full 14bit? 12bit? 10?
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

masc

Hehe, thanks.
All the steady shots are from the 5D2 (so indeed most shots), because I only got the 5D2 balanced without problem (EOS M is sooo lightweight). Both cams bring aliasing, the EOS M a bit more. The slowmo water clip is from EOS M, 5D2 is not able to do this in a good 3x3 16:9 setup. The non-wideangle shots with slight movement are from EOS M, because I had an IS lens for the EOS M only.
I used in both cams 14bit, the EOS M footage was lossless, the 5D2 footage was uncompressed. It was no problem to make both cameras look more or less the same.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Nice looking footage. Can't believe you skipped on anamorphic ;)

masc

Yes... anamorphic is so good. But I wanted to record 16:9 and anamorphic is best in 2.35:1 IMO (this means, I like it most in this ratio, because of the horizontal resolution).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Luther

Nice! The colors are very good too. I see you did some hardcore hiking to get into those places, haha.
Any particular reason to use 25fps instead of 24?

Quote from: masc on July 16, 2019, 10:31:11 PM
- export all clips as ProRes 422 Proxy (small and fast for cutting)
[...]
- export clips as ProRes 4444 (best quality for final)

So you have two ProRes renderings? Isn't that redundant and doesn't it takes too much space in the HDD? I personally just export everything in ProRes444 from MLVApp and work with those, because the size of MLVs is too huge for my HDDs...

ilia3101

That was very pleasing to watch! Great shots, amazing views.

I have noticed I always like the green and blue colours in your videos. Did you use a polariser? (and in other videos)

Also could you also point out a couple of shots that are from the EOS M? As I couldn't tell while watching.

masc

@Luther:
Thanks. Well... maybe not hardcore, but at least hard enough for me, hehe.
Yes, I like 25fps over 24fps, because many german TVs (at least the ones at my familiy and friends) seem to work at 25fps (PAL?!). If I watch a 24fps video, it stucks once a second (looks like the 24th frame is shown twice).
Yepp, I have two ProRes renderings. But it is not really redundant. The first one is without any change - just 1:1 standard settings. Like that the export is fast (okay, with MLVApp it will never be turbo fast, but 450GB were ready in around 12h overnight). The second rendering includes all corrections and grading settings, linear gradients, lens corrections etc.. So this rendering is way slower, but I only work with the used clips and I only export those clips. So this needed less time than the first rendering. Additionally, cutting with ProRes Proxy files works very fluffy - also on old computers like mine. Those ProRes Proxy files are not too big on the HDD.

@Ilia:
Thank you, Ilia. For some of the clips I used a fixed ND filter, for other clips a variable ND filter. If you turn the whole variable ND filter you can use it very well as polarizer (well right, it is one... no... two) :)
I copied all my MLVs in one folder, so it is hard to find out now. I am sure with these clips, being from the EOS M (+Kitlens): 4:50, 5:35, 5:38, 6:17, 6:40. I think the were much more before...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202