Trying to get extended video (30min+) with no live preview window

Started by NoHinAmhherst, July 13, 2019, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoHinAmhherst

Not a heavy user -- just a dad trying to record video of his 5 year old doing her ballet in the dark without having to restart the camera or have a glaring preview screen rolling.

I have installed ML on my 6D (on my 40MB/sec 32GB SD card). Where is this feature (2 features?) I want and how do I use it? Sorry for my ignorance. Searches pulled up a lot of information about much more complex ideas than I'm trying to solve.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

H.264 ("native" Canon video format):
Cam will stop recording at 29:59. ML is able to automatically restart the cam resulting in frame loss for about half a second. See https://wiki.magiclantern.fm/camera_help#movie_tweaks -> Movie restart

RAW/MLV:
No time limit but bandwidth restrictions making it practically impossible to record with high resolutions. Without compression, lowering bit depth and overclocking SD card interface you are stuck with 720p25. First two options are available in experimenal 4k_crop build, overclocking requires custom build. Heating up may be another issue.

HDMI
Lua_fix build allows virtually endless recording. Within restrictions of HDMI-interface as implemented by Canon.

NoHinAmhherst

Wonderful. I went with the first option. Now all I need to know is how I can have the LCD screen off when recording so I can just sit it in the dark audience on a tripod and watch without bothering anyone.

NoHinAmhherst

NoHinAmhherst

Those two features were all I needed -- for now. Thanks so much!