On the Red carpet with my 5D Mark II at 12 bit!

Started by KirbyLikes525, July 11, 2019, 02:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KirbyLikes525

Hello, again! Recently joined and many thanks to the developers and users that's made Magic Lantern what it is. I started using ML in April of 2018 and finally got to a point to use it for clients early this year and the video below is the best my MLV workflow has looked!

5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

Luther

Cool! What shutter speed are you using? There's something "off" about the motion blur, but might be just my imagination.
Also, a nice tip I learned: you can use the effect called "transform" on Premiere Pro to make animations with motion blur. You could use that on the "MXT" animation in the final of the video. Like this (notice that the "Use Composition's Shutter" is turned off):

yourboylloyd

No noise, and your sound sounds amazing! Good job!

For the shakiness, if you don't have a gimbal then you may want to get a lens with image stabilization. The cheap 28-135mm is still my go to.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: Luther on July 11, 2019, 04:50:30 AM
Cool! What shutter speed are you using? There's something "off" about the motion blur, but might be just my imagination.
Also, a nice tip I learned: you can use the effect called "transform" on Premiere Pro to make animations with motion blur. You could use that on the "MXT" animation in the final of the video. Like this (notice that the "Use Composition's Shutter" is turned off):

[img]

I was at 1/50 so not sure what it could be. Thanks for the transform tip! I do use titles and animations in a good bit of videos.

Quote from: yourboylloyd on July 11, 2019, 10:24:07 AM
No noise, and your sound sounds amazing! Good job!

For the shakiness, if you don't have a gimbal then you may want to get a lens with image stabilization. The cheap 28-135mm is still my go to.

Thanks! I use MLV App and found that processing the raw as Rec. 709 and unchecking 'Use Camera Matrix' was the least or no noise for properly exposed video which renders nice and flat for color grading. I've since starting using the 'Expose to the right' technique with the ettr module for the histogram hint and that cleaned up any would be noise in the shadows and also gave me a lot more latitude adjusting the exposure in MLV App. In hindsight I realized all my video should be processed as Rec. 709 because that's the technical standard color space/profile for HD video.

I didn't use it for this shoot but I have a (2) Tamrons with image stabilization that only activate with a half-shutter press so I assumed it was unusable for video. I'll double check that now! However, I used a 35mm Rokinon Cine DS for this. I have a Glidecam HD4000 but was either hand holding or tripod for this. I eventually moved down the carpet and setup on the tripod which is what I should have done the entire time and let the photographers fight over a head-on position lol.

And apparently there's a little known issue with the Mark II that some cameras shipped with a loose external mic connection inside the body. Once I repaired that myself, my audio greatly improved with a Rode VideoMicro mic. (reference: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3049243)
5D Mark II

Kharak

Rec709 is the HD standard for Television. If you are delivering for TV you are golden, but sRGB is what people online, see in.
once you go raw you never go back

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: Kharak on July 11, 2019, 04:14:46 PM
Rec709 is the HD standard for Television. If you are delivering for TV you are golden, but sRGB is what people online, see in.

Yes, partly. sRGB is the default color space of the internet developed for web color, specifically CRT displays and displaying analog-to-digital video. But now, all HD capable devices such as TVs and phones are capable of showing Rec. 709 when browsing online.
5D Mark II

Kharak

Yes, lots of devices are capable of viewing Rec709, but the internet remains sRGB, for now.

You can't "enforce" your Color Space on other devices.
once you go raw you never go back

KirbyLikes525

I'm not enforcing anything, the codec in your device's video player is. The h264 codec can decode rec. 709 colors and devices with h264 codecs built in can display those colors to their built-in screens. Same case for rec. 2020 and HDR colors. If the codec is native to the device, the device will display the colors. The video being on the internet is of no consequence because the codec determines the colors to send to the display.
5D Mark II