Exporting dng uncompressed with hdr gives me flickering in resolve

Started by codemonkey, July 09, 2019, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codemonkey

I use the free version of Resolve on Linux. 

So, when I play in mlv app I get a get a lot of flickering(due to me accidentally recording in hdr)

When I export to something like prores 4444 with hdr checked in the export settings. It plays fine(no flickering) and no flickering in resolve. But when I export to dng uncompressed with the hdr checked in the export settings, in resolve I get the same flickering...

masc

Sure. Is expected. When exporting as cdng (=RAW), you have to blend the frames. When exporting ProRes, MLVApp does it for you (via ffmpeg).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

codemonkey

masc

No, you can't. cdng is RAW. Blending is not possible for RAW, because it is no more RAW then. A special case is DualISO - here we create new cdng's - but you'll need a lot of time.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

codemonkey

Is that how the hdr works with on thre 5d3 is dual iso? i saw the option on the camera. I tried dual iso too, but it really messed stuff up. 

codemonkey

Thanks.

is there any way to get rid of the hdr? I didn't mean to do it to begin with so I don't care if I get rid of it.

masc

What do you mean with "get rid of"? If you choose to process HDR you have to do it somehow. So:
- switch it off in camera
- leave it on in camera and process it e.g. with MLVApp to any non-RAW format (ProRes,...)
- leave it on in camera and find or create a own workflow how to process it
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

You can have all the odd frames go into one directory and the even frames go into another directory. It should be pretty easy to write a script that can do this. Then you'll have to decide which exposure is better, the dark or light one. Hum--exposure bracketing while shooting video? Of course then you'll need to do something to adjust the speed since you're using only half the number of frames.

Stousen

Is it the same like I have here? I don't have HDR on, but doing some dual-iso tests.
Max iso here is 800, but I have this weird black wavy lines moving. Might be the electrical light? Shutterspeed is set to 1/54.
Grateful for any input.

Cheers

//Chris