5d3 + mlvapp + free resolve best work flow for maximum quality/color?

Started by codemonkey, July 06, 2019, 07:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codemonkey

I have a 5d3 and I'll be making a music video with my band.  I'm new to a lot of this codec /color space stuff.....

So, it seems maybe I just want to export dng losless?  What gamma curve thing should I use?  What picture profile should i use?  I did buy the cinelook/cinetech thing but I haven't put it on this camera yet. Is it better to use that from starting? 

Also when shooting raw video do I want to expose to the right a little also? 

sorry my lingo is kind of weird.

Thanks for any  help.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: codemonkey on July 06, 2019, 07:59:21 PM

So, it seems maybe I just want to export dng losless?  What gamma curve thing should I use? 

If you export to CinemaDNG Uncompressed or CinemaDNG loseless then you don't have to apply any "gamma curve" in MLVapp. All of that info will still be in the dng file.

What picture profile should i use?

If you are using Resolve, just try different presets until you find one that you like and then tweak it. I use After Effects and most times I just click "AUTO" and then tweak the sliders until i find something I like. You may want to give that a try.

Also when shooting raw video do I want to expose to the right a little also? 

You def want to expose to the right! Keep that iso as close to 100 as possible.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

ilia3101

I also recommend trying out grading in MLV App, it is easy to dismiss for not being adobe or blackmagic, but MLV App gives you smooth highlight roll-off and accurate colour straight out of the box, hard to go wrong like it is with Davinci.

Davinci is also great, but pretty difficult to learn. I think MLV App is definitely worth a try, especially if you are a beginner. And it is familiar to anyone who has touched lightroom or any photo editor before ;)

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Ilia3101 on July 07, 2019, 02:33:17 AM
I also recommend trying out grading in MLV App

Is there any tips on this forum for grading? I couldn't figure it out when I tried to grade in it.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

codemonkey

oh I forgot to mention i bought a xrite colorchecker thing too. 

masc

Quote from: yourboylloyd on July 07, 2019, 04:29:12 AM
Is there any tips on this forum for grading? I couldn't figure it out when I tried to grade in it.
Where is the problem? What exactly do you like to know? Load the MLV into the app, drag the sliders and export.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: codemonkey on July 07, 2019, 05:59:49 AM
should I use this too? 

https://bitbucket.org/hyalinejim/ml-log/downloads/

Thanks for the replies.

Use it if you like the look of those LUTs. Do whatever feels right and looks best in your eyes. Trying to plan all of this in advance is not necessary nor possible.

Kharak

In the mlv app thread there are pointers to how to grade with it.

Think it was illia that posted about lowering exposure to -0.5 or -1 depending on scene, then use the light strenght/dark strenght and its correlated sliders to get the exposure/contrast right. That was the starting point that helped me get some good looks in mlv app.

Mlv app is crazy good, you just have to jump in to it.
once you go raw you never go back