Hot/bad pixels (?) In Davinci Resolve

Started by Tyronetheterrible, July 05, 2019, 04:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyronetheterrible

Hello everyone!

I shoot MLV with a 6D and edit using MLVFS and DaVinci Resolve, and have been experiencing an ongoing issue in some of my footage with white pixels around where I am guessing specular highlights would be present:

When I bring the same clip into MLVApp and turn bad pixel fix on, it solves the problem immediately, which is wonderful!
But when I am editing through DaVinci Resolve using MLVFS, even with Bad Pixel Fix set to Aggressive, the issue is still present.

I am just curious as to what causes this to happen in the first place? Is it just an inherent limitation of some sort on the 6D's part? Is this prone to happen on 5D3s as well? I have performed manual sensor cleaning but the problem still persists.

I would like to continue using MLVFS in conjunction with DaVinci Resolve, as it is really convenient for quick edits, but am unsure of the solution to this.

masc

Because these artifacts are on highlights, it can't be hot/bad pixels. These are more artifacts produced by the debayer algorithm on hard contrast edges / points. You could try another debayer.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202