Canon 5D markiii Any Manual mode broken after ML

Started by FreddyHM, June 09, 2019, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreddyHM

Hi, not totally sure it was related to MagicLantern, but it surely started after with it (after several years of successfully using it).
It all started one day with the LED red light in the back not turning off (keeps blinking even the camera is off). I tried everything, formatting cards, changing from v123 to v113 and vice-versa, but nothing. Battery was slowly drained too.

After several attempts of installing and uninstalling ML, finally all the manual modes stopped working (nothing related to manual worked, no P mode, no M mode, either video or photo). Auto modes, and C modes works fine. Pretty weird.
My last attempt was to uninstall ML, and update the firmware from Canon website to the latest, but that didn't solve anything.

Any ideas? I have an expensive Point and Shoot now : (

a1ex

Assuming it does not work even if you are starting the camera without card.

Step 1: find a good copy of your ROM (before the defect). It should be on some old ML card, under ML/LOGS. Recent versions told you to copy this in the safe place during installation, but the "several years" old ones did not.

Step 2: capture a couple of startup logs, both in working and non-working modes, using this build:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log-mpu/

Step 3: also get a bad copy of your ROM (delete the ML/LOGS directory and it will be re-created).

Step 4: send me all of that stuff; I'll try to reproduce the issue in QEMU.

Questions:
- what exactly do you mean by "stopped working" ? (what are the symptoms?)
- can you still configure a C mode to act like M? (as a workaround)

FreddyHM

Hi a1ex, i'm sorry. I didn't have the notifications on, so didn't see your post.

I tried to find an old ROM, but no luck X-/ (I also formatted my cards a few times, thinking the cards were at fault)
So, is there hope even without original ROM?

Stopped working I refer to anything related to manual settings like shutter speed, aperture, iso (this one gets automatic to "auto" every time I change the shooting mode, but can be changed to something else afterwards, but if it shuts down, then again goes back to auto). Shutter speed and aperture are always in auto now.
There is no "M" mode anymore, it goes to "C2p" mode instead of "M". "Av" mode goes to "Auto", "Tv" and "P" goes to "P" mode. And "B" goes to "C1p" as well.
So every mode related to manual settings are changed to another mode where everything is more automatic.
This is without any card in the camera.

It still drains the battery while turned off.

FreddyHM

Hi again a1ex. I tried to find everywhere a backup of my ROM but couldn't find any ...
I downloaded the firmware for logging, and did a bunch a logs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec3zacqtxrv0e8a/5Dmk3%20non%20working.zip?dl=0

Very much appreciated if there is a way to make the camera work again in manual mode

a1ex

ROM backup: good news, not needed; I've tested the current ("bad") one in QEMU and it works fine, even in M mode. You should delete it from your link, as it contains copyrighted code from Canon.

The issue appears to be from the mode dial (i.e. hardware). Look at the following lines:

M mode Photo/DM-0000.LOG:19:    0.090.112     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 16
M mode Video/DM-0005.LOG:19:    0.089.990     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 16
Auto mode Photo/DM-0001.LOG:20: 0.090.405     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 22
Auto mode Video/DM-0006.LOG:19: 0.090.123     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 22
Av mode Video/DM-0003.LOG:19:   0.090.077     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 22
C1 mode Photo/DM-0002.LOG:19:   0.090.060     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 7
Tv mode Video/DM-0004.LOG:19:   0.090.093     PropMgr:ff0f9e78:81:03: dwNewAeModeDial = 0

Expected codes are:

#define SHOOTMODE_P 0
#define SHOOTMODE_TV 1
#define SHOOTMODE_AV 2
#define SHOOTMODE_M 3
#define SHOOTMODE_C 7
#define SHOOTMODE_C2 0x10 // 16
#define SHOOTMODE_AP 0x16 // 22; this is A+ or Scene Intelligent Auto

Therefore:

'There is no "M" mode anymore, it goes to "C2p" mode instead of "M"' -> confirmed.
'"Tv" goes to "P" mode' -> confirmed.

What I can do is to attempt to switch the shooting modes from software (for example, to force the M mode at startup). It might work, but you won't be able to use the mode dial. Are you able to compile from source, or should I prepare some test binaries?

Shutdown: to diagnose this, we'll need to capture some logs while the camera is turning off. Maybe the MPU is confused by the invalid state of the mode dial, and fails to cut the power after a normal shutdown. Unfortunately, I am only able to log what the main CPU is doing; the MPU is a black box for me.

You can attempt to log the shutdown process by turning off the camera before completing the 20 LED blinks. For some reason, the startup-log-mpu builds don't seem to work in QEMU (I'm currently away from cameras), but the regular startup-log ones are fine.

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/

In any case, I don't think your issue is caused by, or related to ML.

FreddyHM

Thanks a lot for the reply a1ex, and help. At least it's better to know something rather than imagine.
Is it possible that an overheat could cause the hardware problem? I remember I was doing a 1 hour something shooting with that camera, then gave it to someone else for keep recording interviews, and then he called me because camera gave an error and couldn't be shut down. But the battery drain problem was present already at that moment.

After that, it started to get worse, during some attempts a next day, and after changing firmwares and trying different ML versions (between 1.2.3 and 1.1.3). Until it just refused to work in M mode anymore.

If it can be forced to M mode, that would make it at least usable. I don't remember the last time I used any other mode.
Unfortunately, I never worked with compilers : ) So I would have to google a bit too much, so if I can try something already "baked" that would be much much easier!
Thanks again for the invaluable help!

FreddyHM

Anyone out there can help to force Manual mode on my 5Dmk3?