Is Komputerbay answering your email about defective cards?

Started by togg, June 09, 2019, 02:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

They are not answering me, which is very annoying since the 128 GB that stopped working doesn't even have two years...

timbytheriver

I had a KB128 go dead on me after 8 months. Amazon refunded me straight away!
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

togg

Quote from: timbytheriver on June 09, 2019, 11:01:38 AM
I had a KB128 go dead on me after 8 months. Amazon refunded me straight away!

23 months is maybe less straightforward, I'll try tomorrow. Still bothers me a lot that komputerbay is not answering emails. They changed two cards already to me, which is a lot, but at least they answered...

yourboylloyd

Yeah I had a 128GB that died out recently on me too after about a year. Amazon's really really good with refunding.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

togg

Quote from: yourboylloyd on June 10, 2019, 09:31:30 PM
Yeah I had a 128GB that died out recently on me too after about a year. Amazon's really really good with refunding.

Also I kind of remember KB saying they had a lifetime warranty, now not even answering email. I've got 7 of their cards, had 1 slow ones of the first batch (understendable), one dying outside shooting, one (this one) dying after one full day of shooting, thanks god only establishing shots for a docu but still.
If I get a refund I'm not buying another one from them I'm sorry. I'm going Lexar.

yourboylloyd

Quote from: togg on June 10, 2019, 10:29:28 PM
Also I kind of remember KB saying they had a lifetime warranty, now not even answering email. I've got 7 of their cards, had 1 slow ones of the first batch (understendable), one dying outside shooting, one (this one) dying after one full day of shooting, thanks god only establishing shots for a docu but still.
If I get a refund I'm not buying another one from them I'm sorry. I'm going Lexar.

Lexar is trash man.

Consider going with a smaller card. The 64GB's that I've had have worked flawlessly for years now. CF cards weren't meant to go past 64GB anyway. 128GB and most other NAND based cards will have close to 3000 write cycles before failing.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

reddeercity

Lexar 1066x is the best by far , I use 64 & 32 cards never I problem & if it die's Lexar are guaranteed for life .
Never had problem with warranty , if I needed a new one I just sent it in to my local camera store and there replace it
with no question asked !

Danne

I use transcend, (think it said lexar in some card reader actually). Anyway. Not advertising anything but the three cards I used never failed.

timbytheriver

Quote from: yourboylloyd on June 11, 2019, 07:30:30 AM
Lexar is trash man.
My experience with Lexar 1066x was that it was sloooow on my 5D3. There's a thread on it here somewhere...
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

andy kh

I bought a 1000x 64gb wise advance cf card. I found it the cheapest amongs all other cards  it cost only half the price of sandisk 1066x 64 gb. Im thinking of buying more cards as they r pretty cheap. Has anyone got this card or has any experience. I would be glad if someone can share anything about this company before i buy more cards
5D Mark III - 70D

katrikura

Hello, I have 3 KomputerBay cards, 128 and 64GB, I've never had problems recording in a 5D3 at 1920 x 1080 14 bit, I bought several lexar and they have lower performance. That is my experience.

togg

Quote from: yourboylloyd on June 11, 2019, 07:30:30 AM
Lexar is trash man.

Consider going with a smaller card. The 64GB's that I've had have worked flawlessly for years now. CF cards weren't meant to go past 64GB anyway. 128GB and most other NAND based cards will have close to 3000 write cycles before failing.

Do you have some resources to share about the 64Gb limit? I already have 6 of them, but I feel like a really need a 128 ones for some kind of usage. Why is Lexar trash? What else would you buy? I want just to try something else, last experience was way too bad...

Quote from: timbytheriver on June 11, 2019, 10:07:26 AM
My experience with Lexar 1066x was that it was sloooow on my 5D3. There's a thread on it here somewhere...

Quote from: katrikura on June 12, 2019, 01:47:24 AM
Hello, I have 3 KomputerBay cards, 128 and 64GB, I've never had problems recording in a 5D3 at 1920 x 1080 14 bit, I bought several lexar and they have lower performance. That is my experience.

How slow? Not even working on 1080p?

timbytheriver

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

Walter Schulz

In short: There are at least 2 different versions labeled "Lexar 1066x" and I don't know any other way to distinguish them but benchmark after purchase.
Disclaimer: Haven't put that much effort into investigating, though.

timbytheriver

@togg I had a KB 128gb 1066x which benchmarked at 119 Write / 150 read which was very zippy (technical term!) – but suddenly went dead.

I now have a SanDisk Pro Extreme 64gb 1066x which benchmarks almost identical figures, but anecdotally it 'feels' less fast, and seems to prefer working fastest after recording an initial 'slower' file. No idea why... !
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

togg

Benchmark after purchase sounds good enough for me!
Yea some cards need time to "heat up", it happened to me as well, always weird.

I'm not against Komputerbay but that last drop + email not answered is enough. I don't need extreme speed just full hd. I'm going with a Lexar this time and then we'll see :)