When does Experimental Build become Main Build?

Started by yourboylloyd, June 04, 2019, 12:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yourboylloyd

Hello ML community,

I was just wondering how long does it take for an experimental build to be featured on the main downloads page. I was trying to explain to someone how to install the 12bit/10bit raw builds on their camera and they were terrified of not using a main build.

Since the 12bit raw video has been the experimental build since March (it's June now) and it has been severely tested in the forums, it would make sense to me to include this as a main build for the less technical and scared people.

Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 04, 2019, 12:48:10 AM
Ingenious timing ...
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23927.msg215599#msg215599

That didn't really answer my thought. I know that A1ex is taking a break. Or maybe it did answer it... Maybe I just did not understand how much of an influence a1ex had over an experimental build becoming a main build. I was asking because I thought that there was some sort of process of timing (maybe 6 months of an experimental build working) for it to become a main build. Just thought it was discussed before or something.

theBilalFakhouri

The question is:
When it will be ready to merge it to the main branch?

I think this process isn't an easy task; a lot of changes happened to the other branches and maybe it need some adjusting code and cleaning before and after merging.

I don't see bugs for 10/12 bit branch, I think it should be in Nightly Builds, also maybe the lossless compression.

The crop_rec have problems such as LiveView in some mods and corrupted frames in some situations, not sure if it will be merged before solving or enhancing LiveView things, still not finished module to be in Nightly Builds.

dfort

Trick question -- there is no "Main Build" or Stable Build or Release Version for that matter. There is a "unified" branch which is the main development (a.k.a. trunk) and as the name implies, all of the supported cameras work on that branch. Note that the 100D, 70D, 1200D and other newer ports are not in the unified branch yet.

When does an experimental branch or new port get merged into this unified branch? Only when it has been thoroughly tested to make sure it is working on all the supported platforms. Note that only the main developer can make changes to the unified branch on the hudson repository.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 04, 2019, 06:20:06 AM
I don't see bugs for 10/12 bit branch, I think it should be in Nightly Builds, also maybe the lossless compression.

I found a problem in the raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState branch and lossless compression doesn't work on the Digic IV cameras. The next merges into unified will probably be qemu, new-dryos-task-hooks and lua_fix. How do I know?

yourboylloyd

Quote from: dfort on June 04, 2019, 11:17:49 PM
Trick question -- there is no "Main Build" or Stable Build or Release Version for that matter. There is a "unified" branch which is the main development (a.k.a. trunk) and as the name implies, all of the supported cameras work on that branch. Note that the 100D, 70D, 1200D and other newer ports are not in the unified branch yet.

When does an experimental branch or new port get merged into this unified branch? Only when it has been tested thoroughly tested to make sure it is working on all the supported platforms. Note that only the main developer can make changes to the unified branch on the hudson repository.

I found a problem in the raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState branch and lossless compression doesn't work on the Digic IV cameras. The next merges into unified will probably be qemu, new-dryos-task-hooks and lua_fix. How do I know?

Nice read. Answered my question and more. Thanks dfort