Book promotion film - 5D Mark III 14bit lossless 3.5k

Started by MartijnR, June 03, 2019, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartijnR

Hi Magic Lantern!

I have made a short book promotion film using a 5D MarkIII and Magic Lantern, with the crop function. Please enjoy:

To promote the novel 'Richard' (written by M.M. Visser and R. Hulshof), director Martijn Rijnberg, musician Roly Porter, and actor Leon Herbert (Alien 3) joined forces to create a teaser that shows what the mind is capable of and how you can be caught up in your story. Roly Porter created a unique (custom-made) musical composition that together with Leon Herberts voice guides the viewer through a short existential journey. The novel tells the autobiographical story of the co-author M.M. Visser, in which her past experiences keep her from having a life of love. A bit like taking the red pill in The Matrix, she discovers that everything she believes in and stands for, is nothing more than a story to keep her going.

- Winner Los Angeles Film Awards 2018 -
- Official Selection BAFTA Qualifying Aesthetica Short Film Festival 2018 -
- Honorable Mention Winner Los Angeles Movie Awards 2018 -
- Official Selection Glendale International Film Festival 2018 -
- Official Selection Nevada City Film Festival 2018 -
- Semi Finalist Miami Short Film Festival 2018 -

Production: Zero Landscape
Directed and Written: Martijn Rijnberg
Music and Sound Design: Roly Porter
Cast: Leon Herbert
Sound Recording: Leon Jean-Marie
Script Editor: Marieke Visser
Special Thanks: Gary Nurse, Acclivity, Dobroide, Ondrosik, Steven Lucke, Magic Lantern, FilmConvert
zerolandscape.com

wib

Cool writing. It's very gritty and clean at the same time. What lens did you used ? And did you control what was behind the glass during the water falls ?
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

MartijnR

Thanks a lot, wib! I have used the following classic Zeiss lenses: 35/1.4, 50mm MakroPlanar and 100mm MakroPlanar.

I have shot a lot of footage (also having somehow artifacts once in a few seconds) to get the right patterns of water. If you mean the lightnings, that was been done by using stock footage of lightnings, blurring them out in post, and playing them subsequently on an iPhone that was behind the glass wall. Because of the Macro 100mm lens I could get really close. And by turning of the light, the water of the shower that I poured on the glass wall, was merged with the light that came from the footage on the iPhone. A lot of experimenting, but it did the trick. Attached is a link to a photo of the setup (yet, without the iPhone).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8epkecf355uxxz/Richardstill3.JPG?dl=0

Cheers,

Martijn

wib

Oh that's so cool and smart. Yes, I guess a lot of experiment and improvisation. Good job !

The sound transforms everything that you feel when you watch the drops. It's incredible.
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

MartijnR

Thanks a lot, wib!

The whole process took me months to complete, being overly perfectionistic (trial and error to get the right POV experience), so to hear that the film had this effect on you makes me very happy 😃

Jesussavedjuni

Your color depth, voice over and everything from top to  bottom is amazing! Wonderful job. I wanted to ask, which magic lantern build version did you use and how did you grade your film?

MartijnR

Thank you such much for your nice comment, Jesussavedjuni! As for the workflow, there was a lot of testing and trial and error, and something went wrong somewhere, since every 5 seconds I got major artefact (a scrambled frame, lines, or half the screen red). I am not sure if my camera had some issues due to the shower shots, but I assume I have used some wrong setting. I am preparing for another macro-movie, so I need to figure it out. I am not sure of everything since I change a lot of settings and used a lot of different software, but I think this is the workflow I have used:

Built magiclantern-Nightly.2018Jul03.5D3113 with 14 bit crop_rec_4k (using 14 bit, that seemed best during the testing phase). Resolution 3104 x 1320 (using cropped parts, or to fake dollying).

Then MLV Dumper or cr2hdr to dng sequence. Subsequently converting the dng seqeunces to ProRes 4444 (a workflow of Andrew Reids shooting guide).

Then after importing the movs in AE, I used a combination of lot of effects such as Osiris LUT M31, FilmConvert, curves, Magic Bullet (Denoiser, Looks etc). I am now finally using Premiere for editing, because for this short film, with all the effects, using After Effects was way too slow.

Cheers,

Martijn