Focus Stacked Flax Field

Started by garry23, May 19, 2019, 04:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

Needed a break from working in our garden, so popped out to the flax field just up the road.

5D3, f/8, 1/200s, Dual ISO 100/1600.

Captured using my auto focus bracketing script: three images.

Processed in PS using simple layer masks.

whitelight

Hi garry, wonderful shot... Which lens did you use?

garry23

@whitelight

A Sigma 12-24mm at 12mm.

Some would assume you could capture the scene in one shot, ie by focusing at the hyperfocal and they would be right if they wished to 'just' show the image on Facebook, say.

The issue of 'just' using the hyperfocal is that, by definition, the defocus blur at infinity and at half the hyperfocal is the so-called CoC, ie what we use in ML. Also most will use the 'standard' , FF, 30 microns.

I personally prefer a capture strategy that 'guarantees' the best focus data from the field, that I can degrade myself in post, ie for Facebook, but also use at high quality if I print the image for close scrutiny.

Based on this, if needed, I will typically take an image at the (30 micron) hyperfocal, one at 2-3 times the hyperfocal; ie infinity blurs at Coc/2 to CoC/3; as well as additional images in front of H/2 as required. There is no point focusing much beyond 2xsensor pitch.

Hence the latest two scripts that I wrote for my 5D3 and EOSMs (vis and IR): one script allows me to set the focus brackets manually, the other automatically (which I did with this lens). In both I can control the defocus overlap blur.

whitelight

Thanks for the detailed answer

BlazeMagic

Both beautiful landscape and very well taken!!!