I've been silly and I'd like some help troubleshooting ML on a Canon 7D

Started by Xen0ph, May 15, 2019, 12:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xen0ph

Hey Magic Lantern forum,

My camera's exhibiting some strange behavior since I installed Magic Lantern. I was a bit careless and forgot to remove the battery after the installation was complete, so I only did a soft reset with the switch. Things that have been happening:

- Camera won't boot (resolved by performing a battery pull and taking the card out so the camera won't load ML, like suggested in the FAQ).
- Camera will randomly crash meaning I have to perform a battery pull for a minute and take the card out to get it working.
- Can't access the firmware updater on the Canon menus to uninstall ML. I can select the option but ultimately the camera will just crash until I take the card out, which the camera will then report that I need to do a battery pull to restart it.

Ultimately I want to reinstall Magic Lantern on the camera so I don't get all this associated weirdness but the firmware thing is stopping that from happening. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Walter Schulz

First: Backup your BIN files in ML\LOGS. Don't do anything before backup!

Quote from: Xen0ph on May 15, 2019, 12:30:16 PM
I was a bit careless and forgot to remove the battery after the installation was complete, so I only did a soft reset with the switch.

Removing battery is not part of the standard installation procedure. I do not know where you got this information. Turning off/on via power switch is indeed what was asked.
So your conclusion is somehow odd.

Things that have been happening:

- Camera won't boot (resolved by performing a battery pull and taking the card out so the camera won't load ML, like suggested in the FAQ).
- Camera will randomly crash meaning I have to perform a battery pull for a minute and take the card out to get it working.
- Can't access the firmware updater on the Canon menus to uninstall ML. I can select the option but ultimately the camera will just crash until I take the card out, which the camera will then report that I need to do a battery pull to restart it.

May I ask what kind of card you are using? There are incompatible cards: CF-to-SD adapters are known to cause troubles and are not supported. Older Eye-Fi cards are incompatible (not booting at all).

Ultimately I want to reinstall Magic Lantern on the camera so I don't get all this associated weirdness but the firmware thing is stopping that from happening. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Sorry, but there is a misconception about what ML does during installation. Pretty much the only change to your cam will be setting a so called "boot flag". Most likely reinstallation will gain nothing at all. In the worst case you will make things go south.
May I ask you to replace your CF-card with another spare one. Doesn't matter if this card is slow and has low capacity.
Remove battery, insert CF-card, insert battery. Startup cam, test and report results.

Please do not try to install/deinstall anything!

Xen0ph

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 15, 2019, 04:49:10 PM
Sorry, but there is a misconception about what ML does during installation. Pretty much the only change to your cam will be setting a so called "boot flag". Most likely reinstallation will gain nothing at all. In the worst case you will make things go south.
May I ask you to replace your CF-card with another spare one. Doesn't matter if this card is slow and has low capacity.
Remove battery, insert CF-card, insert battery. Startup cam, test and report results.

Please do not try to install/deinstall anything!

Hey sorry for the late reply, been trying to get my hands on another CF card. I tried a CF card without ML and everything seems to be running fine again. Firmware automatically reverted back to 2.0.3 when I did this.

Walter Schulz

Because ML is loaded from card it won't show up without card or a non-bootable card inserted.
Now back to your issues.
You may format your ML enabled card using a cardreader, then in cam and redo the installation routine. Or proceed with/without ML on your 7D. Remember that cam's boot flag is still set.

Xen0ph

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 21, 2019, 06:16:24 PM
Because ML is loaded from card it won't show up without card or a non-bootable card inserted.
Now back to your issues.
You may format your ML enabled card using a cardreader, then in cam and redo the installation routine. Or proceed with/without ML on your 7D. Remember that cam's boot flag is still set.

I tried installing magic lantern on the new card and tried it out and all the weirdness I described above has gone. I think the issue was more the card I was using rather than Magic Lantern itself. I'm considering this one fixed. Thanks a ton for the help.  :D