2 hours continuous recording?

Started by fanfzero, May 07, 2019, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanfzero

Hi guys, tomorrow I have to record a meeting in my university and I will need to record for 2 hours on my EOS M, (I don't need too much resolution, so I'm planning on using the max without crop mode 1736x900 or something like that, nearly 1080p) 14 bit loseless raw, do you think it will work?

Levas

I don't have an eos-m, so not sure how it will hold and work.
But some number crunching

1736 x 900 x 14 (14bit) x 25 (25 fps, not sure if that's right for you) / 8 / 1024 / 1024 x 0.6 (estimation of lossless compresion = 39 MegaByte/s
39 x 60(seconds to minute) x 120 (minutes to 2 hours) / 1024 (MB to GB) = 275GB
So it's a rough estimation, but this will probably result in something you need 275GB space for.

And not sure about battery live.

So only two things I see is battery life and size of card (do you have more than 275Gb ?)
Else you could use 12 bit lossless or lower...

dfort

Quote from: fanfzero on May 07, 2019, 09:40:16 PM
...do you think it will work?

No.

You are using the wrong tool to record a two hour meeting. I would suggest a video camera.

Then again if you pull it off we'd love hear about it.

Teamsleepkid

the battery only lasts 20 mins...
EOS M

jpegmasterjesse

I really wouldn't do it! The chance of something going wrong is too high, and if it's your only camera it seems like too big a risk. I save RAW for B-Roll, I've shot a few 2-3 minute long performances in RAW but even that seemed risky.

Farangi

Hey, sorry to highjack this post, if I should be creating a new one just let me know and I'll do that but this is a very interesting topic: why the hell do dslr only record for 30min ish???

2 hours of continous recording would be a god send for what I am trying to do. We record some very emotional interviews that sometimes run over 1 hour long and usually can't be stopped mid flow so always miss something when the recording stops. Also it's a pain in the arse matching up the sound with video that i've not got a clap in.

Currently using an eos 1100d and looking at getting a second camera. would be great to be able to leave the 1100d running and just be able to forget about it while I get some more arty shots with the new camera.

anyone know how to manage this feat with DSLR? even 1 hour continuous would be great for me...

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Farangi on May 11, 2019, 05:24:13 AM
why the hell do dslr only record for 30min ish???
Information Technology Agreement (est. 1997 by WTO) introduced a tariff penalty for video cams (=everything recording for >30 minutes). Tariff was dropped 1st of July, 2016.
It's up to camera manufacturers now to deliver a firmware update. Or not.
ML introduced seamless recording for MLV/RAW (> 30 min) January 2015.
Or use lua_fix experimental build for external recording via HDMI/USB for > 30 minutes.

jpegmasterjesse

Here's the solution; two cameras and the "auto-restart" feature. Obviously a second camera is no small thing,!but you can find a t2i for under $200 pretty easily.