"Beach Feels" - 5D Mark III My First 3.5K Magic Lantern Video Test

Started by Lockiel, May 07, 2019, 07:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lockiel

Hey guys this is my first time really testing out continuous 3.5K raw on my 5D mark III. Not too good at color grading yet but excited for what I can do.

Follow me on instagram: @lockiel

let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1puecUPfN0&t=17s

yourboylloyd

Nice shots! You have a good eye!

What lenses/settings did you use? Did you edit in Davici or camera raw? My only critique would be the noise. Sometimes it was extremely noticeable. Always shoot at ISO100!   :D
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

IDA_ML

The noise observed has little to do with ISO 100.  It is a result of severe underexposure which results in reduced sgnal to noise ratio and hence the noise.  Always expose to the right (ETTR) without blowing up the highlights and you will enjoy much less noise even at much higher ISOs.  If you do so, even at ISO 6400, the noise will be quite acceptable on the 5D3. 

garry23

...but don't ignore the different exposure strategy zones inherent in the Canon EOS family, i.e. ETTR is good for 'low' ISO shooting, say, up to 1600ish, then tne camera behaves more like an ISO invariant system, so ETTR strategy gives way to shooting at a fixed ISO and pushing data in post.

IMHO  ;)

Also compare EOSs to fully ISO invariant cameras.

Kharak

That crazy noise looks like a bad LUT or wrong input for the lut.
once you go raw you never go back

Luther

extremelypoorfilmaker

How did you managed to get 3.5k continous? Recording at 10bit?

Thanks! :)

Lockiel

Quote from: yourboylloyd on May 07, 2019, 10:47:45 PM
Nice shots! You have a good eye!

What lenses/settings did you use? Did you edit in Davici or camera raw? My only critique would be the noise. Sometimes it was extremely noticeable. Always shoot at ISO100!   :D

Thanks! Used a 24-105L and adobe premiere lumitri.

Lockiel

Quote from: IDA_ML on May 08, 2019, 06:51:02 AM
The noise observed has little to do with ISO 100.  It is a result of severe underexposure which results in reduced sgnal to noise ratio and hence the noise.  Always expose to the right (ETTR) without blowing up the highlights and you will enjoy much less noise even at much higher ISOs.  If you do so, even at ISO 6400, the noise will be quite acceptable on the 5D3.

I'm thinking you're right. I'm just getting back into it and haven't invested in an external display. Very hard to check exposure properly in this bright Florida sun! I'll try out different settings next time.

IDA_ML

Just activate RAW histogram, set it to "linear" and increase exposure until the data approaches the right vertical axis without being cut by it.  A cheap LCD viewfinder which is simply a hood with a loupe magnifier does an excellent job for checking settings and precise focusing in bright sunny days.