5d Mark II and ext stereo

Started by pisousi, October 14, 2017, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pisousi

Hello, I've recently bought OKM binaural microphones with A3 preamp adapter. (this comes with stereo jack cable)

I want to put it on the mic-in of my 5d2 and record in stereo, so I put my gain to 0 on magic lantern and my base 5d menu. I also select "ext stereo" on magic lantern audio menu.

After recording I can hear my recording worked BUT it seems that the stereo has been mixed. to test it I've isolated each microphone and played one sound in one and another sound on the other, and the result after recording is mixed into a weird "almost stereo" thing. I don't have a proper dual channel stereo recording. is that something that I ve missed?

I also have a tascam dr60 recorder and when using it between the OKM binaural microphones and the 5d MKII (with the same settings) it seems to work... I'm a little confused could you help me on that ?
thanks

pisousi

Well, hello again. I've tried it with a clean card with no magic lantern installed on it and it worked. So the problem is not my microphone and it's not my camera, maybe it's a bad setting on ML, but I can't see where

pisousi

the settings on ML are the following

audio:

analog gain : 0
digital gain: 0
input source: external stereo
wind filter : off
mic power : off (since my stere mic is powered)
headphone mon : off

the record level on classic canon menu is set to manual and almost 0

PS i forgot to say that I don't shoot in RAW, I only push CBR bitrate a little bit (1,5x)

pisousi

I'm rolling with this version

Nightly 2017 Oct04 5d2212

and I've seen this topic here, reporting the bug and marked as solved.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues/530/audio-channel-panning-not-working

still can't make it work properly, someone ?

Walter Schulz

Sorry, please clarify:
- It works fine using DR60 but won't work properly using A3 preamp. Is this description correct?

pisousi

Hello, thanks for your reply

erratum : this is kind of correct. (sorry I'm not used to describe these things in english)

I use the A3 adapter in every scenario which are :

Microphone + A3 adapter through original Canon firmware (working)
Microphone + A3 adapter through Magic Lantern (not working)
Microphone + A3 adapter through Tascam DR60 through Magic Lantern (Working)

I've tried these other solutions

Microphone through Tascam dr60 (powering the mic) through Magic lantern (Working)

Microphone through Magic lantern (powering the mic) + 10db on analog gain (Working) on this one i am not shure that it really worked because I heard sound from the other channel but maybe it was because of increased sensitivity of the mic.

by not working I mean that a little bit of the right channel goes in left channel and vice versa. this is not a true mono but not a true stereo either. this is kind of a bummer because I bought the binaural microphones for that particular ful stereo use. The result is kind of crappy and flattened. I don't want to use the microphone without it's adapter because the preamps are way better than the 5d's and it forces me to boost the sensitivity for a bad result and waste of battery life

pisousi

hey it's me again,

I've tested to put the line in power on ML and it seems to work but kinda overrides the gain of power that the A3 adapter provides, so I have to push the analog gain on ML.

So I tried on classic Canon firmware with and without the A3 Adapter. Both work

er..

Walter Schulz

Sorry, please clarify:
Does this crosstalk issue appear with DR60 (without A3), too?

pisousi

Walter Schulz

So:
- If A3 involved: You got this crosstalk issue with ML. Correct?

If so: What do you expect the devs to do about it? Doesn't sound (sorry for the pun) like an ML issue.

pisousi

I don't know, when A3 involved without ML I don't have crosstalk issues
so i thought maybe it was related to a bug with self powered mics interfering with line in power or not being recognised..

the weird thing is that the A3 adapter has a positive effect on recording with the tascam (when no camera involved)
and I'm not competent enough to understand what could be the differences that makes it fail in that proper situation.

the A3 adapter is not always cause of crosstalk when put into the camera and crosstalk only happens when put with magic lantern, so maybe there's a crossed problem right?

Walter Schulz

Non sequitur.
You used identical output levels in your pre-amp for both tests (with and without ML) and verified audio level indicators were reaching the same levels (or compared output levels in post)?

pisousi

After another serie of tests I figured out that my goal was unrealistic. The adpater is only powering the thing and i have to push the analog gain in every scenario,  my concern was to have a sond that uses less battery possible, and it doesn't work that well (It's still better than internal mic though. even when pushing internal gain). I guess I can't have it both ways. I'll keep ML to monitor sound levels on screen and use line power to keep a real stereo and when I won't use my lightest setup (which is just microphone adapter and camera) I'll put the tascam that gets me a much cleaner sound.

thanks for your infinite patience, the crosstalk issue will remain a mystery. no big deal.

Emagit

Hello,
I'm having the same issue. 5D Mark II with ML v2.3 with 2 microphones connected to external L and R channel. There is so much crosstalk that the audio almost looks like mono.
Any ideas?