How to make the shortcut keys work (60d ml 2.3)

Started by Marsu42, August 28, 2012, 01:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Um, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but on my 60d I cannot get the "Arrow/SET-shortcuts" to work (ml 2.3).

I tried "Audio Gain" and/or "ISO/Kelvin", but neither the SET button nor the arrow keys produce any result in or outside live view. The built-in help isn't helping... maybe I still have set something else that collides with this feature, but I tried to turn off everything else that uses the arrows or set keys.

brenthg

Are you in Movie Mode?  I don't think it works in any of the photo modes.

Marsu42

Quote from: brenthg on August 28, 2012, 05:29:19 PM
Are you in Movie Mode?  I don't think it works in any of the photo modes.

It's only working in movie mode?! If that was so, it'd be worth putting into the help display, I'm a just simple country photog and cannot keep up with the fast-paced features ye big city folk are using :-p ...

... but even in movie mode it's the same as in lv: with my config the arrow keys just move the white zoom rectangle around, SET does nothing. I'm wondering anyway why different options for the arrow keys can be activated together (like iso/kelvin AND audio gain) - all in all: I just don't get it.

vertigopix

Yes, only in movie mode.

On a 60D to access the shortcuts in movie mode you must press the metering button (the button between ISO and the light bulb)

Regards,

Marsu42

Quote from: vertigopix on August 29, 2012, 08:39:13 AM
On a 60D to access the shortcuts in movie mode you must press the metering button (the button between ISO and the light bulb)

Yuck, how am I supposed to know *that*?! And on my 60d it works in lv, too, though adjusting the audio doesn't really make sense there ... this piece of information should really make it into the help display - but thanks a lot for explaining!

vertigopix

Quotehow am I supposed to know *that*?!
Wiki -> http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#key_shortcuts

QuoteAnd on my 60d it works in lv, too, though adjusting the audio doesn't really make sense there
Yes, only in lv (Movie mode) and these functions are devoted exclusively to movie ! (audio level adjust during recording and so on...)

Paul Abrahams

There's no Arrow/Set ups in the pref menu.

Pressing the exposure button does nothing.

Read the manual and many posts.

Unless there's a certain setting in Canons menu that is stopping this function.

Canon 60D + lenses, BMCC. Music writer producer with a love for gadgets.

Paul Abrahams

Figured out I had to go to CF config tab and choose DISPLAY profiles 1-4 depending on how many
presets I want to toggle through by pressing EXP button.

Yes?

scrax

Quote from: Paul Abrahams on December 29, 2012, 04:53:36 AM
Figured out I had to go to CF config tab and choose DISPLAY profiles 1-4 depending on how many
presets I want to toggle through by pressing EXP button.

Yes?

No, those are Display preset  for different Overlay setup in LV (one with cropmarks, another with False color and so on...)

Here the article about the shortcut discussed in this topic: http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/101-cat-camop/catshort/91-art-fast-operating-with-shortcuts

Here the part in the guide about LV Display presets: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#lv_display_presets
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Paul Abrahams

Thanks for that, I will endeavour to understand the manual. But at this point after 7 hours there's something missing.
Either in my understanding a vital point or the manual needs a rewrite with a newbie as a guide, this is not user friendly.
Has this been translated to English?

Before I go. First up [91-art-fast-operating-with-shortcuts] The 60D does not have ARROWS to program on the CONFIG page.

I've read both links many times and they don't help.

I did manage however to go to the LiveV TAB and I can highlight each feature and while pressing the exposure button scroll through
DISP 0, 1, 2. Here is where I thought I could program the features into each profile. But no. I'm still not getting it.

If someone with a 60D can walk me through this I would greatly appreciate it.

One more point, why can't I select 25fps with a 50 shutter?

scrax

You are not the first reporting that problem but I consider it a really huge user guide and lot of if was written by not native english speaker, I've passed a week reading it before starting to understand ML whit also a smaller feature set.
I've started helping ML by translating it, so tohelp a little some users in understanig better how to use ML, point is we are really open to anybody who want's to help in improving the guide, best way is by editing it on the wiki (need to register again in the wiki for now forum and wiki have two different user database). If you need help in understanding some features you will find it here it's up to you to give back something like improving the guide if you think they need it. ;)

The arrows on 60D are four way controller for what i know is in the rear dial

To be sure it's clear those two function (LV display preset and LV shortcuts) are not related, they serve for different purpose.

For Display preset try from the first and enable False color then go on the second and enable vector scope. When changing preset in LV you should go from false color to vector scope to next till last and so on...

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Paul Abrahams

I'll gladly help with the wiki, if and when I can understand and add something useful.

Right now its not making sense...lol

:-/ there are no arrows in the ML menu on the 60D.

....update I think I worked out a workaround. be right back

Paul Abrahams

This is how I programed the shortcuts on the 60D. IN MOVIE MODE

First of all, I find it more useful to have the ML menu on the right side.
(Go to Tweeks and activate Menu SWAP Erase)

Now to the Profile Shortcuts.

It doesn't seem to matter whether you start LiveV tab or Live View.

Go to CF Config menu tab and activate DISP Profiles to 3 (activates profiles 0,1&2)

Turn on Live View as if you're ready to shoot video.
Press the Exposure Button (4th button on top next to ISO)
Press until you reach DISP 0 (which will appear top screen)

Now press the ML menu button and open LiveV tab.
Select what you want to appear for DISP 0

Go back to Live View and press the EXP button to show DISP 1
Go back to LiveV tab and select what you want to appear.

Repeat for DISP 3

This is what I have programmed/selected to appear

DISP 0 = Clear screen (global draw off)
DISP 1 = Zebras
DISP 2 = Histo & Waveform

Works like a charm

Paul Abrahams

Any 60D users here tried my previous instructions?

It seems I can have at least 3 features overlay in the one DISP profile.

0 = clear
1 = zebras
2 = focus peak, histogram (wish it was bigger), waveform (which I don't understand yet).

I have a SwiviVF but even the bare screen is now useful for shooting.

chuffed