Is it worth buying a 5d mark iii with shutter count of 400k

Started by andy kh, April 27, 2019, 06:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

I got a deal for 800$.can anyone advise me if i should look for  other with less shutter count. I think its time for me to upgrade to 5d iii to get rid of moire n aliasing
5D Mark III - 70D

kitor

Not so long ago I bought one with 350k count for roughly the same price.

If you're going to use it for filming, IMO just check shutter/mirror if it works properly. Easiest method I know it to simply run a long series of properly exposed photos on 1/8000 shutter and look for any signs of shutter/mirror not moving fast enough (visible in exposed frame). And of course check sensor for defects (again, simplest method - iso 100, 30s exposure with closed lens cap and any noise cancelation disabled in menu)

Don't know for how much 5D3 retails in your country, here in Poland is $1300+ equivalent with "normal" counts and shutter replacement in authorized service costs less than $300 eq., so the math was easy for me  :)

Of course I wound't take any job with high shutter count monster without bringing any backup body, but that should apply for any job as even new camera may fail...
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

Walter Schulz

In Germany price for used 5D3 finally dropped to about 1000 €. Accrding to this list. Nothing said about shutter count ...
There was some kind of plateau at 1500 for quite a long time.
Using kitor's price for shutter replacement I will not advice to buy this cam for this price. If you have to replace shutter you've gained nothing.
YMMV

kitor

$1300+ (around 5000 PLN) is usually for camera, battery and charger with "less than 150k count". Box with accesories 5500 and up
I paid for mine 3300 PLN for complete box, extra batteries and cards. Shutter replacement is about 1000 PLN. So I can replace it twice before I hit usual price
Average net salary in Poland is about 3200/month. Profitability depends on PoV :) So that's up to OP's mind if price gap is big enough in his country
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

ilia3101

Quote from: kitor on April 27, 2019, 08:50:02 AM
If you're going to use it for filming, IMO just check shutter/mirror if it works properly. Easiest method I know it to simply run a long series of properly exposed photos on 1/8000 shutter and look for any signs of shutter/mirror not moving fast enough (visible in exposed frame).

This is the best advice in the world. On my 5D2 half the frame was black by 1/1600 when shutter count was only 30K! Also shutter had the same issues on my Sony NEX 5 before it got stuck.

andy kh

thank you guys for your advice i have decided to let it go. i think 400k is too much. i will go to a local shop next month and check out there. i contacted a shop and he says he has got many 5d III body available. i am also considering buying a vaf filter for my 70D
5D Mark III - 70D