[DONE] Save WB and ISO presets

Started by Filmugamyba, August 28, 2012, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filmugamyba

Hi.  I am a long term ML user and want to say a big THAK YOU to all the contributing developers.
I switched from a professional camcorder to a 60D DSLR and in real life situations I miss one feature that was available back then.
Professional cameras have a possibility to save at least two white balance presets.  When you move from one lighting situation to another you can quickly change WB preset from A to B and you are done.  It would be nice to have something similar in ML too.  Actually it would be nice to push it a little bit further and to save white balance and ISO under one preset.  In this case when recording a movie inside and then moving outside you would have just to change a preset.  Now lets say I am recording inside under ISO 1250 and 2700 Kelvin.  And when I move outside I know that I will have to set ISO to 160 and WB to 4900 Kelvin.  In real life situations every second is important.  It would be nice to have a quickly accessible preset switch to cycle through two or three presets that would alter WB and ISO values.  Just like we are doing this with display presets.  Is it possible and would anybody see this as a useful feature?
Sincerely,
Mindaugas

Alvin Drake

I agree, when shooting a wedding is essential to have at least two
configurations, one for internal and one for external.

Rehaan

Expanding further on this request:

Savable user profiles, with the following settings:
- ISO
- White Balance
- AF mode
- Drive mode
- Metering mode
- HTP on/off
- Picture style
- Exposure compensation (a lot of people like shooting -1/3rd by default)
- Video shutter speed
- Audio settings
- etc

Arrow/SET keys can be used to switch between user profiles

An option to "reset to a selected profile @ power ON" : Helps avoid shooting with exposure compensation, wrong ISO selected, wrong shutter angle, etc.

Thanks,
R

Richard

I agree with Rehaan. I shoot still pictures in non_LV manual mode. A challenge can be I partially clouded day when sun and clouds alternate quickly.
I have a canon 60. It has such a function, on the wheel,  I find it  not so usable for this purpose (you have to dig in the menu to save the current setting to dthe ). Better would be a key that switches between presets (and saving it on the background).

a1ex

Done, but only with basic settings, not all bells and whistles.

Filmugamyba

oggettone

I like so much this idea to save some preset settings that could let us change bench of settings all at once.
Thank you I will be happy to try this.

It might be also useful to be able to export that preset from the camera in order to share user experience.
I mean that each people that in the forum post a picture or video could share a profile file used and in general what is the settings typically used for different situation.
In this way we could have a sort of preset library like a "cookbook", e.g. a preset good for green screen, a present for cloudy day timelapse, a preset good for a particular church (so if you go to the same church where another photographer went  for a wedding you could start for his settings) etc..

Despite it will be also possible to re-create a profile from the exif information of a taken picture; if you will define the format of the preset file, write a tool it will be very easy.

woody084

Hey this feature is a great idea, thanks so much for the hard work! Just a question about how to set each of the setups that is being switched between? It seems one of the groups of settings (Av, ISO etc.) is whatever you have currently, but when you hit the toggle to the other group, how is that group being determined? I couldnt see how to toggle between two chosen groups of settings.

scrax

Quote from: oggettone on October 30, 2012, 10:35:05 AM
In this way we could have a sort of preset library like a "cookbook", e.g. a preset good for green screen, a present for cloudy day timelapse, a preset good for a particular church (so if you go to the same church where another photographer went  for a wedding you could start for his settings) etc..

Yep but you need also the same light conditions, or am I missing something? If that is like a sort of aid for learning, exif data and the pix are way better...

Quote from: woody084 on November 21, 2012, 03:13:33 PM
Just a question about how to set each of the setups that is being switched between?
How to explain? (hoping to be correct, also)
Imagine two piece of paper were ML writes your saved settings. Let's call them paperA and paperO
first time you use it ML will write your current value to paperA but since paperO is empty your value will not change.
after a while you changed to other settings (also to save).
Using that feat. again will write to paperO your second set of settings and since now paperA is not any more empty it will read and restore what is there.
Next time you will use it, you current value will be written on paperA (erasing what there is already there) and what is on paperO will be reloaded

Short answer:
value saved are the one you have when you use the function.

A1ex, have you seen gheja's fork?
I was trying to start from there to add other values to save, but i can't find how to set WB mode (canon's default, not kelvin).
For kelvin i use:
    if (mcm0_kelvin) lens_set_kelvin(mcm0_kelvin);
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

oggettone

QuoteYep but you need also the same light conditions

You're right, perhaps this feature is more useful when you shot at the same light condition the same day or in the same photography set (e.g. You've 3 different Point of view that needs different settings and you need to move and fast change ML settings.)

What I called "cookbook" it was just an attempt to do an example of use this feature, by the way I imagine that the camera should be able to tell you using the sensors (I just suppose, I don't really know) if the setting is applied in the same light condition or not.

I agree that learning from exif and experience is always the best (that's what I did, and I'm OK also without preset), I was just thinking about how to increase the appeal of ML also for newbies, so take it as pure exploratory suggestion.

For instance in the camera gear switch you've different preset for panorama, portrait, night, etc.. with  fixed and adjustable parameters, my idea was to apply the same concept for ML so have some base preset (downloadable from a repository) from where you can start so find your good setting.

scrax

Quote from: oggettone on December 04, 2012, 12:41:08 PM
What I called "cookbook" it was just an attempt to do an example of use this feature, by the way I imagine that the camera should be able to tell you using the sensors (I just suppose, I don't really know) if the setting is applied in the same light condition or not.
It can detect quantity of light with the internal light-meter, and maybe it's quality using the auto WB from ML, but it will tell you that it's not the same condition 99% of the time if you don't shoot in a light controlled environment (light quality will change quickly even during the same hour if it's naturally lighted).
But i'm looking for a way to load different settings files so one can change them on the fly (sort of poor man settings preset)
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: Rehaan on September 01, 2012, 09:44:13 AM
Expanding further on this request:

5 Savable user profiles, with the following settings:
- ISO + Tv + Av    <- same Expo value switched by SET/INFO option by A1ex
- White Balance + Kelvin + WB Shift

- AF mode
- Drive mode
- Metering mode

- HTP on/off
- Picture style
- Exposure compensation (a lot of people like shooting -1/3rd by default)
- Video shutter speed
- Audio settings
- etc

Arrow/INFO/SET keys can be used to switch between user profiles

An option to "reset to a selected profile @ power ON" : Helps avoid shooting with exposure compensation, wrong ISO selected, wrong shutter angle, etc.

It might be also useful to be able to export that preset from the camera in order to share user experience.

From the above request this is what i have so far, here more info:

GREEN: Added;
ORANGE: should be easy to add;
RED: For now works only in M mode (for safety reason).

SET/INFO to quick switch 2 other expo preset is already in the nightly by A1ex (maybe WB should be added?), so you can:
- load a C mode,
- press SET/INFO to save in the quick switch
- load another and then
- jump thru each one expo values with a button.

woody084

Scrax, do these custom saveable profiles work on the 5DMKII for video mode, or just photo mode?

scrax

Quote from: woody084 on January 02, 2013, 12:45:52 PM
Scrax, do these custom saveable profiles work on the 5DMKII for video mode, or just photo mode?
so far only photo M mode, I'll take a look for enabling it also in movie mode, on 5DmkII it's not enable since I can't test it (not having one).
Since we are using photo dialog to quickly change custom mode, in video mode the switch could be added to LV shortcuts

scrax

Quote from: woody084 on January 02, 2013, 12:45:52 PM
I've enabled it also in movie mode, but if in this mode it will not restore metering and drive mode. I'm not sure about metering, maybe could be safe having it too.
Will try also with Ae,Tv and P excluding automatic values.

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on December 04, 2012, 07:32:39 PM
RED: For now works only in M mode (for safety reason).

What's the catch here? If the problem is overwriting Canon variables, restoring the ml c modes could be reserved to the cx main dial position(s) where variables are never saved to nvram?

scrax

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 08, 2013, 10:04:17 AM
What's the catch here? If the problem is overwriting Canon variables, restoring the ml c modes could be reserved to the cx main dial position(s) where variables are never saved to nvram?
Was just for the first test, after I've enabled it also for other modes and now in the pull request it works for ADEP, M, Av, Tv, P and movie (it just skip to save/restore Av/Tv when needed)