700d Raw test using the experimental 2.5k crop mode preset

Started by frafen, April 23, 2019, 12:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frafen

I tried the 2.5k preset of the new experimental build for the 700d. The recording resolution was mostly 2400x1200p at 12bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElDhiMwRZYA&feature=youtu.be

dfort

Wow, looks great! Love the mood. Very artsy.

Of course we're all interested in the technical stuff like what lenses you used, post workflow, etc.

frafen

Thanks! I used the 18-55 kit lens, a Jupiter 21m (200mm f/4 for the sun and city shots) and a Yashica 50mm f/1.7 (just for the leaf shot). My workflow was to convert the mlv files with MLVapp to Prores 422hq in the Alexa log c colorspace. In the raw correction menu I activated the 3x3 chroma smooth to remove a pattern of colored dots that was present on most shots, and in the processing settings I lowered a bit the clarity and I tried to remove some noise with a value of 30 and the 3x3 window (but I'm not sure if it's the best settings). I imported the clips in Davinci Resolve, I transformed the Alexa log c color space in Rec.709 using the color space transform effect and then I did a color grade experimenting with some effects and applying a film emulation LUT.

I didn't have particular problems with this experimental mode. I noticed only one corrupted frame in fifteen minutes of footage and I saw that some clips have a line of pixels of a different color on the bottom of the image.

Ungraded frame with dots pattern and a line of colored pixels on the bottom:

Corrupted frame:

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

frafen

Thanks for the link Masc, that is going to be useful.

Ballinger

Magic Lantern: The Arri Alexa killer.     ;D   Really amazing what a talented cinematographer can accomplish with ML.