Anamorphic Look Test

Started by whitelight, April 22, 2019, 03:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitelight

Hi all, a quick home test of a fake anamorphic Helios 58 I got yesterday with anamorphic iris and a fishing line for streaks. Just made some random shots to test bokeh, flares, streaks and so on. I would like to know your opinion, whether it looks too artificial, too distracting ("coffee beans") etc.

Canon 7D + Helios 58mm f2 - ML MLV Raw
Password: whitelight

https://vimeo.com/331706185

dfort

Can't see it. Private video?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whitelight

Please try with the password "whitelight"

histor

$160 looks like enormous price for such a thing. Helios 44-[any number or letter here] looks rather stylish as it is (sharp center, twirls on the corners). But it's always very cheap, not to mention ones with the aperture stuck. Replacing aperture with cardboard doesn't seem to be a complex task. You'd better find somebody willing to buy it nearby :)

As for the effect... I don't think it looks like "high quality thing". Bokeh shows horizontal lines – reflection of the ellipses on the cardboard aperture. Why do we need them? I'd prefer black velvet. If you try a cardboard aperture in front of another lens – doesn't it look better? Or just the same?

I say it as usual cinema watcher. I've never used anamorphic lenses myself. But I know standard Helios 44-2 enough.

whitelight

Quote from: histor on April 22, 2019, 11:42:18 AM
$160 looks like enormous price for such a thing. Helios 44-[any number or letter here] looks rather stylish as it is (sharp center, twirls on the corners). But it's always very cheap, not to mention ones with the aperture stuck.

As for the effect... I don't think it looks like "high quality thing". Bokeh shows horizontal lines – reflection of the ellipses on the cardboard aperture. Why do we need them? I'd prefer black velvet.

As for the effect... I don't think it looks like "high quality thing". Bokeh shows horizontal lines – reflection of the ellipses on the cardboard aperture. Why do we need them? I'd prefer black velvet. If you try a cardboard aperture in front of another lens – doesn't it look better? Or just the same?

Hi histor, where did you get the $160 quote? That woukd be too much, I paid only 30$ or so. The aperture works up to 16.
As for the horizontal lines on the bokeh I don't see many actually, what bothers me is the vertical line within the ellipses.
I appreciate your comments,  I myself am dubious whether the anamorphic look is better, it is certainly different and a bit nostalgic.

histor

Some people are really greedy (https://www.vid-atlantic.com/lensshop/helios-mod-lens). $30 is worth a try.
Working aperture is good but, I guess, closing it kills the visual effect.

Luther

I had a true anamorphic adapter (Kowa 16D), and it was a pain in the ass to focus and way too heavy. Also, lots of vignette and not sharp at all. The image looked cool, though.
So, I did mine 'filters' for less than $1 each. Just ask for someone in you city to cut those cheap wood pieces and paint it in black. Here's the shapes:

whitelight

Quote from: Luther on April 23, 2019, 02:58:22 AM
I had a true anamorphic adapter (Kowa 16D), and it was a pain in the ass to focus and way too heavy. Also, lots of vignette and not sharp at all. The image looked cool, though.

I know what you mean, I have a Chrétien Hypergonar which is more than 1 Kg and barely usable even with a sturdy tripod in a controllable set, that is why I am trying more manageable solutions. I must say its sharpness and rendition are excellent, though. True Cinemascope indeed.

wasim89

I tried anamorphic look with a cardboard cut out stuck to the back of my 50mm samyang lens but I had to shoot at f2 at all times to avoid the vignette.

The look was amazing though, it had the breathing effect and the swirling vertical bokeh in the background. I shot some test pics back then but im going to make a new cutout and try to shoot at f2.8...